CPU overclocking and memory speed?

I heard that your memory speed effects the stability of your CPU overclock, and allows you to reach higher CPU speeds. I have an i7 930 @ stock speeds as well as 6GB of PATRIOT 1333MHz DDR3 tri-channel memory. Should I have gotten 6GB of 1600 MHz, and a motherboard which supports faster RAM, if I wanted to reach very high CPU speeds?

I have a ZALMAN CNPS9900 CPU cooler, as well as a Corsair TX850 850W PSU, and an ASUS P6T X58 motherboard.

Should I be able to reach a humble 3.2 or 3.4 GHz with my current setup?
2 answers Last reply
More about overclocking memory speed
  1. You probably can't overclock your memory at all. You can always turn down the multiplier to 8x or 6x and overclock from there. A i7 930 can get to 3.6-3.8ghz easily with litle voltage increase. 4.0ghz would typically require more voltage and becomes inefficient but most i7s should get there.
  2. rofl_my_waffle said:
    You probably can't overclock your memory at all. You can always turn down the multiplier to 8x or 6x and overclock from there. A i7 930 can get to 3.6-3.8ghz easily with litle voltage increase. 4.0ghz would typically require more voltage and becomes inefficient but most i7s should get there.

Should I be able to reach 3.2 or 3.4 GHz with my Ci7 930 using my Zalman CNPS9900 CPU cooler?
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking CPUs