Build based off NOV 1250 enthusiast build. need oppinions!

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Hey after reading http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphics-overclocking,2083.html i decided to tweak my build a little. All i use my computer for is gaming and internet. Once in awhile i will run other programs but not very much. I have a few questions about this build.

1. Will this computer last me 2-3 years for my purpose?
2. What would you add / tweak about the system?
3. Would you run raid0? If so what drives would you use for this(keeping it around the same budget range as the one HD)
4. Can i expect to overclock the system in much the same way Tomshardware did in the article?(planning on learning all about OC'ing and doing it down the road for the experience of it and maybe slightly boosted performance)
5. Should i upgrade to the Crosair 750w if i want to OC?
6. Is the fact that Articsilver 5 is semi conductive mean its not safe to use on the CPU?

I don't want to spend very much more then i already am. I am willing to however for a noticeable increase in performance.

Thank you to everyone who take's time to read this post. I am ordering on hte 10th my build can be seen here https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=14254607

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Thank you Proximon! Glad to see you share your computer know how with the community. Your articles are extremely informative. I will be joining the community as i am planning on adding computers to my list of few hobbies.

Will be posting in the Overclocking section soon! Much to learn.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I didn't even notice it was slower. Hopefully it comes back into stock in time, if not maybe ill run Raid0 with two smaller drives.

I would go with the Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste instead. It lasts 4 times longer than the silver and is awesome stuff to work with. I love it.! And do you really need a 12 gram tube?

Are you planning to OC the e8500? if so I would go with DDR2 1000 or 1066 to make sure you keep your memory speed above your bus speed x2.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Yeah im planning on learning how to OC on this build. So what would your recommended ram be per say i would get at least 4 gigs? I want budget ram.

I'd get this RAM:

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 900(PC2 7200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231211&Tpk=g.skill%20pi%20black%20900 $49.99

That RAM is awesome! DDR2 900 with 4-4-4-12 timings at 2v is a good indicator of quality RAM. I just got the same RAM, except the ones rated at DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 @1.8v. I've been very happy with them.

DDR2 900 RAM will allow you to push the E8500 to almost 4.3GHz (450 * 9.5 = 4.275GHz). I doubt you'll get it that high anyway.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
i think you should spent more money and get a quad more and more games are going to come out using multi core, also good for multitasking. there fairly easy to oc my q6600 is oc to 3.2ghz. if your interested im actually selling my gaming rig message me for info if you like.

deredita

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I went on newegg, configured a system.

It was about $1295 (plus $70 in MiR) for the following:

AMD Phenom II 940
8GB DDR2-800 memory
Asus 790GX motherboard
Sapphire 4870x2 (2GB GDDR5) video card
1.5TB hard drive
Antec 900 case
CORSAIR 750W PSU
LG 22x CD/DVD burner

For a system that would come out to about $1265 shipped after mail-in rebated, that seems like a whole lot of computer for the money.

semlethe3rd

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I also realized no one answered your questions directly so here we go:

1. Will this computer last me 2-3 years for my purpose?

Its hard to say if it will last you this long because of games like crysis that show up by companies but yes overall you should be well off, if it comes down the road where you find your not able to get the settings you wanted in a game than simply upgrade the graphics card as needed because the processor your getting overclocked shouldn't be a bottleneck for awhile now.

2. What would you add / tweak about the system?

My above post answers that question =)

3. Would you run raid0? If so what drives would you use for this(keeping it around the same budget range as the one HD)

Looking through reviews and hearing peoples real world results from the sounds of it RAID is slowly becoming pointless. The HD's now being produced are so large and fast it makes you question why even bother. So my answer to that is no.

4. Can i expect to overclock the system in much the same way Tomshardware did in the article?(planning on learning all about OC'ing and doing it down the road for the experience of it and maybe slightly boosted performance)

Overclocking Intels Core 2 Duo's is a piece of cake to a certain limit. When I first started overclocking 5-20Mhz was HUGE now im running a Q6600 with a 1.4GHz overclock.. things have changed =P. Just make sure you read guides and get advise from people that have been doing it for awhile, I mean thats how most of us had to learn =). So my answer to you is you should be able to reach around what they got as long as you look for a little advise and set up your case with proper airflow.

5. Should i upgrade to the Crosair 750w if i want to OC?
I always play to it safe with power supplies and find it to be one of the most important parts of the computer. So yes I personally would upgrade to a Corsair 750TX especially with the 4870x2.

6. Is the fact that Articsilver 5 is semi conductive mean its not safe to use on the CPU?

I have been using Articsilver 5 since it has come out on CPUs and have never had a problem with it. Read the instructions on there website on how to properly apply it to your CPU and you should be fine!

Hope some of that helped and sorry to ramble on so much!

mexpedip

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
use the Dec $1,250 build. You might sacrifice a little with the gpu right now but it will give you a system that will be easy and feasible to upgrade for a few years. The nov build is very nice but any system built around the core i7 is going to be better.

Something else to keep in mind. Crysis, even if it is neet, is basically a benchmarking tool. Look at the new games including Crysis Warhammer. All/most have been coded better so they either use a better combination of cpu/gpu or the developers are becoming better at optimizing they games. Either way, new games do not and will not have the requirements of Crysis for years to come. Why? The hardware requirements for Crysis killed the game.

Get the Dec build and if needed upgrade the gpu in 1-3 years.

I agree with Mexpedip.

I will say this much. My buddy has a new i7. And it is by far just ridiculous. It is a VERY powerful chip and very overclockable. He is running 8800gtx's in Tri-sli

Think of this this way to. How often do you upgrade your cpu,mem, and mobo? Not as often as a GPU? My board right now is seeing it's 3rd video card. I say get the i7 and get a nice card to go with it. It's much easier to swap out a video card than the whole guts down the road. It will be a little more expensive but it's worth it. The x58 lets you run sli or crossfire as well so you get the best of both worlds. Asus has a $250 x58 board that seems like a really good deal.

semlethe3rd

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Guys I want to see you attempt to build a i7 rig with everything he needs under $1250 its close but I've tried about 3-4 times and still am over by a reasonable amount everytime. I think everyone would agree the i7 core is better but worth the money for the memory / motherboard at this point.. I personally don't think so, not for what he needs from the sounds of it.

semlethe3rd

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
You have to remember he also needs wireless, vista, thermal paste, and from the sounds of it he wants to attempt to overclock for his first time so an aftermarket cooler. Making that rig jump atleast another $150-$200. Personally for what he wants to do I would stick with either what he had or what I had suggested. That way he will stay under his limit and have plenty of fun overclocking things =)