Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PhII x4 955 with Zalman CNPS10x

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 26, 2010 2:47:12 AM

Hello,
I just purchased a Zalman CNPS10x - performa after reading multiple reviews and charts. I plan to overclock when I get the cooler, and I am hoping for at least about 3.6gHz. Should this go about fine? Also, has anyone here had experience with the CNPS10x and can vouch for it? Any help here is appreciated, thanks.
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2010 4:32:42 AM

Yeah, you should be fine. I can't vouch for the cooler, but in reviews it does well.
I might be wrong, but don't people with quality air coolers reach 3.8 @ ~1.375v or so?
June 26, 2010 5:33:30 AM

redechelon said:
Yeah, you should be fine. I can't vouch for the cooler, but in reviews it does well.
I might be wrong, but don't people with quality air coolers reach 3.8 @ ~1.375v or so?


Actually I was just looking into it some more, and I found that 3.8 isn't exactly out of question for air coolers. Thanks for the input.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2010 6:54:41 AM

xAPOCALYPSEx said:
Actually I was just looking into it some more, and I found that 3.8 isn't exactly out of question for air coolers. Thanks for the input.


Have fun, that's a great chip. :) 
June 26, 2010 6:59:38 PM

For my chip 3.8GHz is really hard to achieve, could just be my chip isn't the greatest. But i's a C3 stepping 955. I can get to 3.7 with 1.4 vCore and 3.8 GHz isn't stable at 1.5 vCore.

But I can say that at stock vCore and stock cooling I could hit 3.6 GHz with a simple multiplier adjust and nothing else.
June 26, 2010 7:55:53 PM

cmcghee358 said:
For my chip 3.8GHz is really hard to achieve, could just be my chip isn't the greatest. But i's a C3 stepping 955. I can get to 3.7 with 1.4 vCore and 3.8 GHz isn't stable at 1.5 vCore.

But I can say that at stock vCore and stock cooling I could hit 3.6 GHz with a simple multiplier adjust and nothing else.


I am just hoping for in the 3.6GHz range, but if I can achieve a stable 3.8 with any voltage under 1.5 with temps under 65C, then I'll go out of my way to (attempt to) achieve it. I guess I'll have to do a lot of experimenting, and I'll post back with my results once I get the cooler.

Also, thanks for your help.
June 26, 2010 8:16:16 PM

If you get a few more posts you can join in on the IC Diamond 24 TIM giveaway thread over in CPUs. It also dropped my temps 2C Idle/Max
June 26, 2010 10:44:09 PM

cmcghee358 said:
If you get a few more posts you can join in on the IC Diamond 24 TIM giveaway thread over in CPUs. It also dropped my temps 2C Idle/Max


I actually got AS5 with the cooler. As far as I know though, IC Diamond is better, so thanks for the info! I'll probably attempt to get it
June 26, 2010 11:05:13 PM

I dropped 2C from AS5
June 26, 2010 11:12:08 PM

cmcghee358 said:
I dropped 2C from AS5


Yeah, I am already trying to get more posts (While being helpful) to enter in that program. Thanks for pointing it out.
June 26, 2010 11:15:56 PM

And I just sent my mailing info :D  Thanks again!
June 27, 2010 2:44:59 AM

Glad I could help!
June 30, 2010 12:43:57 AM

If anyone cares to listen to my experience (1 hr) of the Zalman CNPS10x Performa, read here:

Installation was a mess for me, took me way too long, but then again that was the first time having to remove the motherboard completely from the system. The installation manual was not totally understandable, so I was stuck for about 30 minutes on 1 part :pfff:  . However, after successfully installing it into my case, and with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste (still waiting on IC diamond 24), these are my results:

Running prime95 on "In-place Large FFT's" for 1 hour.

Ambient Temp: 20C

Stock Cooler
Idle: 31C
Load:65C

Zalman CNPS10X with Arctic Silver 5 (Run right after installation, no time to cure as of yet)
Idle: 25C
Load: 46C

That is pretty intense!

Now, I run C&Q right now, and I am at stock voltage/freq with the processor, but will now attempt to OC it to about 3.8 GHz. I will post back with my results
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2010 5:35:01 AM

Nice results.

Good luck on the OC.
!