Upgrade P4 3.0 ghz to C2D E8500

G

I recently upgraded my system to with a Gigabyte MB GA-EP45-UD3L, and cosair ram. I put my old P4 in the system and everything runs great. I wanted to upgrade my processor so I went with the E8500. This is compatable with my mb and I updated the bios. I installed the chip and started it up. On the initial boot I got a blue screen of death for about a half second, not long enough to read it, then the computer restarted itself. It booted up and was okay for about a minute then crashed again and restarted. Does anyone know what could be the issue here? I have tried this multiple times and the same thing keeps happening. I reinstalled the old cpu and everything works fine, no issues.

G

I didn't touch CMOS. I didn't increase RAM voltage at first, it is on 1.8v for 2.1v. I did try to increase it to match the ram and it still crashed. I flashed bios from usb drive using q-flash. I didn't install the DES software, not sure what that is.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
The latest Gigabyte BIOSes say not to use QFlash, but to use another piece of software that comes with the BIOS. I know this for a fact because I flashed my X48-DQ6 from F5 to F7 shortly after receiving it.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Software incompatibility. You wouldn't happen to be running any old copies of Zone Alarm, would you? Old versions of ZA do not get along well with the XD bit feature found on newer CPUs. If your old p4 was a 530 non-J model, it would have lacked this XD bit feature. If you can turn off execute disable bit in the BIOS, try it and see if the computer then will stay running after starting windows.

G

No, I don't have Zone Alarm. I will try and clear my Cmos and see if that works. The old one is a 631 cpu.

Are you talking about the Autoexec.ext file? Dosen't matter which method. The QFlash will work fine.

G

I cleared the CMOS and still no luck. BSOD. Put the old cpu in and works like a charm.

TRENDING THREADS