Sign in with
Your question

Intel X-25V vs X-25M

Last response: in Storage
July 9, 2010 4:22:18 PM

Other than physical storage size, is there any difference between the two (i.e. speed)?

Also, anyone use a 40 GB to run there o.s? Do you feel it is enough space?

Raid 0 array just crapped out and I have $100 gift certificate to best buy to burn up so I'd like some input.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

More about : intel 25v 25m

a b G Storage
July 9, 2010 5:09:40 PM

Well according to specs, the X25-M has higher read speed and higher write speed. I really am not sure, they have different access times, I am sure you can find benchmarks on the web for it. However, 40GB for an OS?...I have Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premim 64-Bit and it is under 8GB on a fresh install.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
July 9, 2010 10:23:46 PM

X25-V = r/w of 170/35MBps
X25-M = r/w of 250/70

An X25-M is basically 2 x X25-V in RAID 0 (kinda).

X25-V has half the chips, thus half the size, and (almost) half the speeds, at half the price.

Yes, you could put the OS on 40GB, but I wouldn't recommend it. Although, my sytem only used 22GB of 80GB RAID 0 array.

BTW: Stay away from RAID 0 and SSDs. It gets complicated to keep the drives at peak performance, but it's possible.

You have HDD for data/media/storage, right? What mobo? Is it Intel based chipset (X58 or P55)?
m
l
Related resources
a b å Intel
a c 177 G Storage
July 10, 2010 1:44:43 AM

AB1733 said:
Other than physical storage size, is there any difference between the two (i.e. speed)?

Also, anyone use a 40 GB to run there o.s? Do you feel it is enough space?

Raid 0 array just crapped out and I have $100 gift certificate to best buy to burn up so I'd like some input.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Physically, they are both the same size, 2.5". There is a 1.8" variant though for special needs.
The X25-M starts at 80gb, and will be a bit faster since internally, it has twice as many nand chips that it can read from concurrently.

I used a X25-V40gb to replace a hard drive in a laptop with wonderful results. Installing windows 7 and microsoft security essentials took <15gb. More like 12gb if I recall. I made no effort to cut it down by uninstalling features. If the remaining 25gb is sufficient for your apps or whatever, then you are good to go. If it later becomes short on space, you can add a larger conventional hard drive for storage. You will be pleased the ssd performance as an os drive.

Plan on installing windows 7 and setting the bios sata to ahci to get trim support if you can.

Be prepared for buyers remorse. New versions of ssd's using smaller,cheaper chips will be arriving by the end of the yead.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 10, 2010 4:38:22 AM

Remember, what you say is 22GB or 15GB for windows 7, its not actually windows. Windows 7 is under 8GB...what makes things large is the page file and hibernation file.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
July 10, 2010 4:59:03 AM

geofelt said:
Physically, they are both the same size, 2.5". There is a 1.8" variant though for special needs.
Actually, they're all 1.8" drives, but the 2.5" kits come with a shell that turns them into the larger form factor. And the part numbers ending in "R5" include a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket for mounting in a standard desktop drive bay.
m
l
!