Control panel does not work

rosannalucky

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hello,
I have a problem with control panel. I had malware. I deleted this with Ad-aware program. Now my control panel doesnt work. It asks for windows system32 rundll32.exe I found this file, put it into system 32 but nothing happens. Is it possible to be fixed without windows CD?

Solution
Maybe, but you may also disable your computer while trying. When replacing missing system files you must have the EXACT versions, which will vary depending on the service pack and patches installed. Just randomly copying files form the web or form another XP computer could make your computer no longer boot, even into safe mode.

The best thing to do is either back up all your files to an external drive and do a complete reinstall, or take it to a reliable XP tech.
Maybe, but you may also disable your computer while trying. When replacing missing system files you must have the EXACT versions, which will vary depending on the service pack and patches installed. Just randomly copying files form the web or form another XP computer could make your computer no longer boot, even into safe mode.

The best thing to do is either back up all your files to an external drive and do a complete reinstall, or take it to a reliable XP tech.

Solution