Hey guys, this is my first post here. I found great topics on this forum, but wanted to clarify few things on what I am trying to implement.
Features I Want:
- uPnP Video Streaming to TV's [Most Important. What can I do to maximize performance so that simultaneous streaming to more than 1 TV would be smooth.]
- File Sharing & Backup of computers on Network [Completely Manual,I think I dont even had to write this. Still..I thought to clarify]
- Remote Access [I dont know whether its possible with FreeNAS.Still, not of great concern right now.]
I have following hardware already with me,
Motherboard : Intel ATX G965RYCK
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
RAM : 1 GB DDR2 800 [I can buy one more. Required?]
USB Drive/Compact Flash Drive : Just to load FreeNAS. I can manage that. Still, if you want to suggest one.
HDDs : 1) Which Filesystem? Recently read about ZFS. But, as I want to use this system mostly for streaming. & the computers on the network would be mostly Windows PC's and 'very rarely' Mac. I think its not possible, right? I saw on FreeNAS tutorial which uses UFS. I wanted to ask whether thats compatible with filesystems NTFS, EXT3, or Mac file system etc.
2) H/w or s/w RAID & Which RAID Implementation? I want totally 2TB of space. I dont know whether to go for single drive, 2 or 4.
3) Confused whether to go for WD Cavier Green [I mean I Want to reduce power consumption as NAS would be running all time but not at the cost of speed & access latency]
Router : Wireless for sure. But, not sure to go with Wireless-N or Wireless-G.This is the most crucial part of my setup. I feel everything would go in vain if the network is only the bottleneck.What approximate data transfer speeds can I expect with each of 'em, if anyone has any idea.
I'd appreciate if you can think of something important that would increase system's performance.
Please do correct me if I am going conceptually wrong somewhere.