Total System Failure ( Experienced users needed )

Lukums

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello Everyone,

Feel like I'm jumping around all over the place in these forums.

I have a question.

I have a huge problem.

All system services have stoped and will NOT start up again.
My computer is on and general programs will run but as you can imagin no services are on which mean.

System restore is out.
Internet is out.
Safe mode boot is currently just as bad as normal start up I've only recently got the start bar back.

I need to know is there is anyway to do a system restore in CMD.
I know how to get here: c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Which is showing all of my restore points but how to I actually force it to run with system restore service currently unavailble.

I do not have access to a CD to do a easy restore system files and I'm not able to install new software or use any USB devices.

Dose anyone have any idea's how to get the main service RPC back on which controls the rest of the system services?

Thanks.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
ok. you need to click start. click run. type "MSCONFIG" without the quotes.
goto the services tab. and select everything. this will fix youre problem.
If that does not work you cannot do anything but reinstall windows. please select me as best answer if this helps.

go to run type in services.msc, check that the services you need are running/set to run automatically. if not you can start them manually from that menu.

recovery:
I'm not sure if you can run sysrecovery in dos, at least I haven't heard of it.

during boot up, hit f8, there should be an option to recover windows, I believe that one uses those sysrestore points.

if not, Tigrsounds has an iso that has a tool you can run from the cd that does a system restore, you'll have to pm him for that link, since I don't have it handy/don't feel like giving it out since it's not mine.

another option would be to just do a repair reinstall of windows

The file is there for the benefit of anyone that needs it. Please do post a link to it as you find those people in need. :) (Just spell my name right) :(

@lukums,

If you don't mind downloading a 156MB CD ISO Image file, I have a way for you to perform a system restore, change startup state of services, edit the registry, copy/move/delete files, go on the internet, run some programs that run under XP, and more. It might be helpful to you. Just download the ISO Image file, burn to CD using a program that handles ISO files, boot with that CD and do what needs to be done. It runs completely from CD so takes about 3 minutes to completely load (be patient while it loads).

Get it by clicking
HERE

If you ned an ISO burner program, you can get a free one HERE

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Try malwarebytes anti-malware in that case.

Also, try borrowing a friend's XP disc. If you had, for instance, OEM and he has retail, it won't accept your key for a full install, but I think a repair install will still work.