Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Clean install still 100% cpu usage

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 2:37:10 AM

I am working on a pc currently that was experiencing very very slow response time. I reloaded Windows XP only to find it is still so slow it is unusable. I have swapped in a new HD, swapped ram chips with no effect. I notice the CPU usage is pegged at 100%. Nothing I do changes it. What should I check?
April 7, 2009 2:43:11 AM

start with posting all the facts
system specs
history of the system
what happened and when
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 2:48:49 AM

You need a priest for the exorcism .

watch out your head doesnt spin around .
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 3:05:21 AM

It's a Dell Dimension 3000. History unknown. It has 1G ram a small HD something like 36
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 3:28:02 AM

sometimes a pc is just broken...and you need to let it go and move on with your life. given what you've done it's either the mobo or the ram, niether of which would be worth replacing.

but out of curiosity, did you install dell's software? or did you do a "clean" install. If you did the latter, I suggest loading the default dell software.
April 7, 2009 3:45:09 AM

CTRL+ALT+DELETE
Click on Processes
Sort by CPU usage

What process(es) are using the most CPU?

This sounds like a software issue, not hardware.
a c 122 à CPUs
April 7, 2009 3:58:33 AM

I agree with TC. Find out what the process name is.

BTW, what OS are you using? If its XP then that may be the problem. XP when its first installed (or an older OS) is very vulnerable unlike Vista that is more secure. That is unless you had XP w/SP3 installed.

but it sounds like you did a clean install and before you got a firewall/antivirus up something snuk its way in.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 4:11:56 AM

The only process that shows usage is the task manager while it's open. The pc hasn't been connected to the internet since the new install. Oh and I did an install from an xp disk. I don't have any dell disks... I pulled each ram chip independently and swapped in other chips with the same result. Yes I know it's an old unit but it's not mine. I am trying to repair it for someone. I can find 5 newer used models for sale right now but... thanks.
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 4:33:16 AM

hit ctrl-alt delete click the processes tab, check under CPU, if everything is right system idle process should be taking the majority of your cpu.

Make sure you dl all the drivers from dell, even the seemingly stupid and useless ones. The dell setup disk may have had some tweaks to prevent this kinda thing.
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2009 1:27:00 PM

Drivers, drivers, drivers. Go to Dell and download all the drivers for the system you have, after the fresh install of XP, install all the dell drivers.
April 7, 2009 3:13:42 PM

Quote:
The only process that shows usage is the task manager while it's open. The pc hasn't been connected to the internet since the new install. Oh and I did an install from an xp disk. I don't have any dell disks... I pulled each ram chip independently and swapped in other chips with the same result. Yes I know it's an old unit but it's not mine. I am trying to repair it for someone. I can find 5 newer used models for sale right now but... thanks.

You were in the "Applications" tab, you need to click on the "Processes" tab. Even on a clean, properly functioning install there will be quite a few processess running. Click the CPU column header to sort them by CPU usage and see which ones are using the most CPU.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2009 2:13:18 AM

As stated the only process that shows usage is the task manager. All others are at 00.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2009 3:18:28 AM

Did you check the "show processes from all users" box?
April 8, 2009 12:54:04 PM

cjl said:
Did you check the "show processes from all users" box?

Good catch, I forgot to mention that.

All of your usage should add up to 100. How much is CPU usage for "System idle process"?

You say CPU usage is pegged at 100%, what makes you come to that conclusion? What is telling you that it's at 100%? Task manager?
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2009 2:36:20 PM

If the "system idle process" is not taking up like 99 percent of your cpu then there would be your problem. System idle process tells the computers to slow down when there is no work load.

I gather you have downloaded all of your xp disk, see if you can find one an actual MS one to install with or try to download another.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2009 5:03:31 PM

Whats his CPU?
April 8, 2009 6:22:52 PM

Hi,

Im getting the same issue myself on an acer laptop.

Im running XP Pro Sp3 the disk install is a genuine one, that has been used on a few hundred machines where i work with no issues.

Im getting the SYSTEM Process Spiking at 99/100% constantly, it doesnt drop. However if i boot in to safe mode then its fine!

RAM/HD have been changed with no effect.

Fresh install of XP, never been on the net, nothing been plugged in to the system at all!

Im thinking that the CPU could be damaged, but then when im in safemode it doesnt happen. Im stumped!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Hardware: Acer Aspire 1640, 40Gb Ide HDD, 1Gb Ram.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2009 8:08:07 PM

The 'System Idle Process' is SUPPOSED to be at 99% most of the time; it represents how much of the CPU is NOT doing work.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2009 9:54:38 PM

joners said:
Hi,

Im getting the same issue myself on an acer laptop.

Im running XP Pro Sp3 the disk install is a genuine one, that has been used on a few hundred machines where i work with no issues.

Im getting the SYSTEM Process Spiking at 99/100% constantly, it doesnt drop. However if i boot in to safe mode then its fine!

RAM/HD have been changed with no effect.

Fresh install of XP, never been on the net, nothing been plugged in to the system at all!

Im thinking that the CPU could be damaged, but then when im in safemode it doesnt happen. Im stumped!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Hardware: Acer Aspire 1640, 40Gb Ide HDD, 1Gb Ram.

Your problem sounds driver related. The main difference b/t normal windows and safe mode are the drivers that are loaded. But you should start your own thread for this.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 8, 2009 10:00:49 PM

Quote:

Are you sure you got the correct mobo drivers since you didn't use a dell restore disc? You may want to remove the drivers and start over. Something like driversweeper should get rid of the old ones. Then you can get the correct drivers from Dell's website.
April 17, 2009 9:56:07 AM

Just thought that i would add a little follow up to my post, different to the first issue that was reported here, but in case anyone else is having problems.

It appears to be related to Acer Laptops, and their batteries.

The ACPI has had issues with the battery, simply remove it and the CPU usage drops down to normal levels.

June 11, 2009 9:20:58 PM

Quote:
As stated the only process that shows usage is the task manager. All others are at 00.

Hey did u ever resolve this i have the same exact problem have clean installed xp once already nd it takes about 5-8 hrs jus to reinstall nd im doin it now because i basically have no OS any suggestions....im totally stuck never seen anything lik this...culd it be the hardware
October 3, 2009 6:34:01 PM

hello
im havin acer aspire 1522 with winxp pro sp3
i had same problem,
system process 100% cpu use age all time

i did some research about it

first thing i had two anitvirus b4. 1 of which i uninstalled .
i had bitdefender v10 and avg 8.5 which i uninstalled

even after that it was same

I had a clean install of os and antivirus no virus is detected even use spybot

So wen i went to safe mode everything was normal so i decided it must be a driver issue.

But b4 that i had a serious problem my pc used to reboot just after coming to desktop mode but in safe mode it was ok so it was not a hardware problem.

Then after i uninstalled avg it was ok there was some conflict. i also and removed the acer screen saver kept it disabled . when ever it was on pc used to get frozen and dint come out of screen saver for long may be it doesn't support on sp3 as its old.

Then i tried goin to windows update and updated everythin except a driver update even then there was no help so wen i checked for driver it was a canon printer driver. so i downloaded latest printer driver from canon .

So after that i updated and re started pc it is less than 100% cpu

so if u don't hav any virus on ur pc please check if ur usb driver is giving some conflict with system please update it . for me it was a printer 2006 driver now its june 2008 driver. past few hours its ok.
October 3, 2009 7:04:03 PM

I feel still there is a issue as again system process shows 100% rest all at 0%

still need to find a solution
October 3, 2009 9:46:30 PM

Go into msconfig and click the startup tab. Uncheck any startup programs that you don't need. Now go to the services tab and remove any services that you don't need. I had the same problem on my HP laptop and this did the trick.
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2009 11:02:23 PM

Which process is hogging the CPU usage in the task manager?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2009 6:43:57 PM

I am Having same issues. Clean install of XP on dell 3000. Savvy here and it is not one of the normal culprits. It's not system idle but 35-66% for the taskmanager with rest of cpu on system or Windows update. I am hoping after downloading all the updates to SP3 it will resolve the issue. I am getting headaches for two days_so Far_ during this excrutiating problem. I had installed from XP cd then install the drivers from dell. No resolve. It takes 5-10 minutes to load up and another 5 before I can do anything. Once again bringing up the task manager shows just basic processes running after clean install. Nothing extra nothing hidden. I tried running one program and it took almost 1/2 hr to load up. processor at that point 64-67% Program running-rest on tskmgr. I tried closing the task manager to see if the speed would increase however it did not. This I am sure is what the original poster is experienceing. Have done all usual steps to increase speed but to no avail. If the mobo or CPU is fried would be an issue. Seems to be video related. Using the current onboard VGA. If anyone knows more about this please reply with a solution, No repeat of info already provided, No new to computers answer--system idle is doing it--- Something that would make sense as so I can collect payment from customer for fixing there issue.
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2009 6:49:04 PM

I would look for a BIOS update.
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2009 7:07:00 PM

Quote:
I would go for a completely new pc if you have the money. A decent pre-made rig can be bought, but I would build a pc from scratch if I was you. It allows for upgrades easier if something like this comes up again http://1228server.co.cc/imgs/signature_smiley3.jpg

He's fixing a PC for a customer. He obviously isn't the one that purchased it.
December 4, 2009 2:33:59 AM

id just redo all the drivers and see, maybe the chip itself is flawed.
December 15, 2009 11:34:06 PM

Quote:
I am working on a pc currently that was experiencing very very slow response time. I reloaded Windows XP only to find it is still so slow it is unusable. I have swapped in a new HD, swapped ram chips with no effect. I notice the CPU usage is pegged at 100%. Nothing I do changes it. What should I check?

I am having the same exact problem with the same model Dell that I am repairing,
Freshly loaded XP home with a microsoft disk.
I build and repair computers, I saw the other replies you got, and they are assuming that you don't know
what you are doing.
However what you said I am seeing the same exact thing, when I find the answer I will post the fix.
December 15, 2009 11:39:56 PM

hey it could be because of temps, making the cpu hot and not working properly

OR A SIMPLE VIRUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 11:51:50 PM

Shadowbratt said:
I am having the same exact problem with the same model Dell that I am repairing,
Freshly loaded XP home with a microsoft disk.
I build and repair computers, I saw the other replies you got, and they are assuming that you don't know
what you are doing.
However what you said I am seeing the same exact thing, when I find the answer I will post the fix.

The replies that were given were valid suggestions. We don't give advice on here just to exercise our fingers. Maybe you should try some of the replies that were given. If you have the same exact problem, then they apply to your situation as well.

Jackpot...I just burned 5 cals typing that.
December 15, 2009 11:52:33 PM

you are right...it could have lived through formatting disk...I am checking that now
December 15, 2009 11:56:06 PM

Maybe I missed one...I am always interested in other opinions...just commenting on what I noticed, sorry if it somehow offended you...that was not my intention.
December 18, 2009 1:21:21 AM

Quote:

Solution to the CPU problem.....
Go into the bios and set the CPU from compatible to normal....this should fix the problem,
It worked on the machine I was working on.
January 16, 2010 2:23:16 PM

Well at least I feel better that I'm not the only one with this issue(im at a fresh install of windows 7, previous install of win7 worked fine for months. then last week...). I've been working on it for a week now. Thanks for the tip Shadowbratt but I don't have that setting in my bois, I have a dell xps with a single core pentium 4. However while I was in the bois I did notice that I have hyper threding settings in the bois so i can emulate 2 cores. now taskmgr.exe can only take 100% on one core effectivly limiting the memory leak to 50% of the processor, leaving me with the other core (the other half) to at least "use" the computer (hey, it's better then nothing). So in the end im still looking for a solution to clean up taskmgr.exe on the one core. I will post back if i ever get it working, but i hope this will help someone.

January 20, 2010 1:15:16 AM

I think I have this one figured out!!!!!!

So to recap how this all started. First, just fyi I have my computer hooked up to a plug that goes to a light switch, people hit it all the time thinking it will turn the lights off or on but all it does is cut power to my computer. So one day i come home from work (I do IT for a living) and my computer is off, grate someone hit the switch again. Anyway I just got an air mouse so i turn on the computer and plug in the usb receiver but windows 7 takes forever to load up, the mouse works fine after an hour install but I'm like man this is slow. so i open task manager to see whats holding it up and taskmgr.exe is taking up %100. I uninstalled the mouse and restarted and same thing, %100. for a week i was looking through forums and trying to figure out what happened. finally i gave up and formatted and reinstalled. WTF same thing, taskmgr.exe at %100. i went into safe mode and strangely everything's fine.(at this point i left the above post) I figured it had to be a driver for something since it worked fine in safe mode. so i unplugged every external device, even disconnected the internet so i only had a usb keyboard and mouse hooked up and did a fresh install again. maybe windows update was downloading and installing a new driver that was causing it? same thing taskmgr.exe taking up %100. simplifying the system even further i unplug everything and open her up and remove everything but ram and a video card. turned it back on........1% CPU....YES. so it has to be one of the internal devices, i thought. so one at a time i added cards back in and turned it back on to check so i would know for sure who the culprit was. i came to the last thing and strangely enough every device I originally had in it was back in and CPU usage was normal (without reinstalling)! then it hit me we have had a few laptops in at work that have had strange issues like this and we came across an official manufacturers forum (i forget which one it was a long time ago) that said to take the battery out of the laptop and press the power button for 5 sec then put the battery back in and try it again. i remember thinking, whatever, how could that work. but sure enough back then it worked. i have only ever had to do this maybe 3 times since then, out of hundreds of laptops, but amazingly it has worked a few times. I'm not sure the specifics of what the issue is or why this fixes it, other then it must retain a little power holding on to a corrupt piece of data or something that only goes away when you remove all power source and discharge the capacitors. anyway so what must have happened was the hard shutdown of the light switch must have messed with something on the motherboard and until I unplugged it to remove all of the internal devices it never cleared itself out. I'm kind of pissed that all i had to do this whole time was unplug it! At least that's my hypothesis, i cant really test it now that its working. but whatever it works now!

SO...all that summarized... have you unplugged your computer since you noticed the issue.

Please reply back to this if you have the %100 CPU issue and this works for you.
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 6:28:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!