Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Hi, I'm new here.
I have a 2 year old Acer 4937g with the following specs :
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 (@2.00 ghz)
Nvidia GeForce G105M (512 MB)
3 GB RAM
Windows Vista SP 2 32-bit

I use it for gaming, although as you can make out, its getting outdated. Something's nagged me since a few months about it...it overheats too fast, resulting in poor framerates, even at low settings. This is mostly with newer games like Dragon Age, Just Cause 2, Mass Effect, etc. Even at 800x600 i get only ~25 fps with frequent and periodic drops to around 10. Verrrrry annoying.

The thing is, the fan at the bottom is *completely* cool, at room temperature. But the HDD, CPU, RAM and GPU are all *extremely* hot. After half an hour of gaming, here's the temperatures: (in deg. Celsius)

HDD : 50
Core 0 : 67
Core 1 : 69
GPU : 81 (WTF?!?!?) :eek:

Before I start gaming, the laptop temperature is quite moderate, after gaming, it refuses to come down (except the GPU, which comes down to 50).
The palm rests are very warm. After removing the covers on the RAM , HD and GPU, i found that there was no dust on their vents, but they were so hot I couldn't touch them for long. Still, the fan remained cool. :fou:

I am using a cheap old usb fan cooler but the fans don't really do much.

My guess is that the laptop fan's cooling isn't reaching the components properly. I am a total newbie to hardware and so i haven't dared to open up the entire base yet. Could it be the heat sinks? Acer isn't exactly famous for quality :ange:
If there is something that can be done, or something that needs to be checked, please help me. :cry:

erikjansson

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Only thing you can do is change Thermal Paste, if that dosen´t improve temps, try to get fans replaced by Acer