Sign in with
Your question

Experience Index scores LOWER with SSD Drive?

Last response: in Storage
July 9, 2010 6:36:39 PM

My Magnetic SATA II Hard Drive scored7.1
Re-tested with my crucial 128 GB SSD Drive scores 6.9

How is this possible to get a Lower Score?

Is there some setting that I'm missing?

thanks

PS. Using Windows 7 Home Premium x64
a c 99 G Storage
July 9, 2010 10:30:07 PM

Did you do a fresh install, or clone?

Intel based mobo w/ACHI enabled? Download latest Intel chipset driver 9.6 to get TRIM enabled?

Checked for updated firmware for SSD?

Do you have all your data/media/storage on a HDD?

Pagefile on HDD?

m
l
Anonymous
July 10, 2010 12:21:47 AM

I think there is a fault somewhere there, have not heard of a Normal HDD scoring greater than 5.9 on Windows 7 Index..

My Raid 0 Array of 2x1tb 32m cache drives only score 5.9
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2010 7:42:49 AM

foscooter said:
Did you do a fresh install, or clone?

Intel based mobo w/ACHI enabled? Download latest Intel chipset driver 9.6 to get TRIM enabled?

Checked for updated firmware for SSD?

Do you have all your data/media/storage on a HDD?

Pagefile on HDD?

CRUCIAL SSD.....Intel drivers for it??

Motherboard is gigabyte UD3P Intel P45 chipset... Is this what you mean?

Link for chipset update?

thanks
m
l
July 10, 2010 8:06:58 AM

its not possible to get more than 5.9 with a mechanical HDD. you either have the info wrong, or WEI has a fault.
m
l
July 10, 2010 5:10:55 PM

welshmousepk said:
its not possible to get more than 5.9 with a mechanical HDD. you either have the info wrong, or WEI has a fault.

It's not a magnetic platter typical drive, it's a SSD drive that's being tested by WEI.

???
m
l
July 11, 2010 4:38:50 AM

so one ssd has scored lower than another? then what is confusing you?

m
l
July 11, 2010 6:24:46 AM

welshmousepk said:
so one ssd has scored lower than another? then what is confusing you?

WEI shows HDD [or SSD in my case] as 5.9 while the previous HDD [magnetic] scored HIGHER than the SSD.

Since the SSD is far faster and better than the magnetic drive that makes no sense to score lower.

Does anyone at all know what I am trying to say here?

m
l
July 11, 2010 6:50:33 AM

yes, but you are contradicting yourself.

if the first drive is a mechanical HDD, it cannot score more than 5.9. this is a limit set by WEI for mechanical drives to be sure SSDs always return higher results. so as i said before, that score is not correct. weather that be because of a fault with WEI or just bad information i don't know.
m
l
July 11, 2010 1:43:31 PM

welshmousepk said:
yes, but you are contradicting yourself.

if the first drive is a mechanical HDD, it cannot score more than 5.9. this is a limit set by WEI for mechanical drives to be sure SSDs always return higher results. so as i said before, that score is not correct. weather that be because of a fault with WEI or just bad information i don't know.

My SSD is the primary drive that booted to and has Win #7 on it. The other mechanical magnetic platter drive is a Secondary drive not used to boot or run the OS from.

Is this clear enough?
m
l
July 11, 2010 6:42:20 PM

you're going about this all wrong. what is not clear is your understanding of the answer. many people have posted saying that HDDs cannot get WEI scores more then 5.9. The fact that you say the reached a 7.1 is impossible, or inaccurate.

At the end of the day, we're trying to tell you everything should be fine.
m
l
Anonymous
July 11, 2010 7:01:20 PM

Yup, got you loud and clear OP, ehta everyone here is saying though, is the fact that 5.9 is highest score for HDD.

SSD can score higher of course

"WEI shows HDD [or SSD in my case] as 5.9 while the previous HDD [magnetic] scored HIGHER than the SSD."

In your statement you say previous HDD scored Higher than SSD or higher than 5.9.

This is not possible if it is correct, therefore there is a fault somewhere in windows that has reported your HDD as higher than what is should be.

Re-Install windows on the ssd, without the HDD drive attached and re-test, I am sure you will then get the right score!

m
l
July 11, 2010 7:37:03 PM

Anonymous said:
Yup, got you loud and clear OP, ehta everyone here is saying though, is the fact that 5.9 is highest score for HDD.

SSD can score higher of course

"WEI shows HDD [or SSD in my case] as 5.9 while the previous HDD [magnetic] scored HIGHER than the SSD."

In your statement you say previous HDD scored Higher than SSD or higher than 5.9.

This is not possible if it is correct, therefore there is a fault somewhere in windows that has reported your HDD as higher than what is should be.

Re-Install windows on the ssd, without the HDD drive attached and re-test, I am sure you will then get the right score!

Previous HDD was Seagate 320GB and never scored above 5.9
Next
Installed SSD Drive and Installed Windows 7 64 bit
ReRan WEI and "Drive" which is SSD scored a 6.9 BUT 2 times reported as 5.9
Next
Bios, changed from IDE Mode to ACHI mode, rebooted
Now Drive score is again 6.9, although ONE time it reported 7.1

I ran and reran and every time I wrote down the results onto a piece of paper and I know what I saw and wrote to be true.

It's like the Doctor who asks what are your symptoms and you claim your shoulder hurts and several minutes later the doctor declares "No, your shoulder really isn't hurting because that would be impossible"

I'm really at a loss at what benefit I would receive by reporting WEI results that are incorrect or inflated?
I've spent most of the time on this thread trying to prove over and over that my results are true and honest. If this is all it's going to be about, my having to prove over and over that my results are true then how would I ever get help or at least given some method to help via a website or software?

No hard feelings I guess so....Good day everyone.
m
l
July 12, 2010 3:22:37 AM

we are not accusing you of making it up, WEI is a notoriously crappy benchmark, and is obviously giving you incorrect numbers.

you are not making this easy because you keep contradicting yourself, if we had a clear explanation of the problem it would not be an issue, but i don't think anyone here understands what you are trying to say.

either you are wondering why your SSD is scoring lower than your HDD, in which case the problem is with WEI not the SSD. the drive is faster, the benchmark has just messed up and given you an incorrect number.

or you are wondering why the score has decreased after a second run, this cold also be a fault with WEI, or could be part of the natural performance degradation of SSDs. the more they are used, and the more space is used, the slower they become.

so if you could be a little clearer, we may be able to give you a proper diagnosis, btu im pretty sure your answer is one of the two above.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 12, 2010 6:49:43 AM

As the other people are saying, the problem isn't that your SSD scored low - it's that your HDD scored high. Single HDDs don't score higher than 5.9 under Windows 7.

Don't worry about your SSD score, it's not the problem.
m
l
July 12, 2010 3:18:00 PM

welshmousepk said:
we are not accusing you of making it up, WEI is a notoriously crappy benchmark, and is obviously giving you incorrect numbers.

you are not making this easy because you keep contradicting yourself, if we had a clear explanation of the problem it would not be an issue, but i don't think anyone here understands what you are trying to say.

either you are wondering why your SSD is scoring lower than your HDD, in which case the problem is with WEI not the SSD. the drive is faster, the benchmark has just messed up and given you an incorrect number.

or you are wondering why the score has decreased after a second run, this cold also be a fault with WEI, or could be part of the natural performance degradation of SSDs. the more they are used, and the more space is used, the slower they become.

so if you could be a little clearer, we may be able to give you a proper diagnosis, btu im pretty sure your answer is one of the two above.

Thank you for allowing me to make this as clear as I can. My main and only concern was and is why does my SSD score lower or the same as my older 320GB Hard Drive?

EDIT:My SSD is adequate in performance, that is it is far faster than the magnetic drives.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 12, 2010 4:06:35 PM

My 2 Cents.

(1) IDE mode is not the proper mode for a SSD (WEI scores will be erratic (ie your Two 5.9). The AHCI mode is the correct mode, However retesting with WEI WILL result in small variations of score (6.9 -> 7.1). This is do to the way SSDs work as they are written to and the subsquent use of the trim cmd. This trim cmd returns a SSD to near factory condition, but is only applied when certain conditions are met.

(2) I would recommend running the WEI once after a fresh install, and then once with one of the BETTER Bench mark programs. Then only rerun if you suspect a problem.

For my systems
Intel G2 80 Gig SSD = 7.8
patriot Torqx 128 Gig SSD= 6.4
Intel G1 80 Gig SSD = 6.3
Pair of WD 640 Blks HDDs, Short stroked, raid0 = 6.0 ( I Think there was a post reporting a 6.1 for a pair of short stroked Raid0 setup).
WD blue 128 Gig SSD = Unk, have not installed yet. Not sure weather to use as a scratch SSD for my 2 laptops, or to install in my E6400 BU computer ( replace/upgradge My raid0 Vista
m
l
July 12, 2010 11:02:33 PM

RetiredChief said:
My 2 Cents.

(1) IDE mode is not the proper mode for a SSD (WEI scores will be erratic (ie your Two 5.9). The AHCI mode is the correct mode....

I tried AHCI Mode in the BIOS and all was fine except my DVD Burner wouldn't burn and I was forced to revert to IDE mode.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 12, 2010 11:26:30 PM

Have Gigabyte P55-UM4P MB. What I did is placed my Blu-ray writer and My DVD writer on the 2nd controller and My SSD and HDDs on the Intel controller, had no problem. I believe you have two controllers, a Intel and a gigabyte Sata 2 controller. You might try seperating them if they are all on the same controller

Cheers
m
l
July 12, 2010 11:31:45 PM

RetiredChief said:
Have Gigabyte P55-UM4P MB. What I did is placed my Blu-ray writer and My DVD writer on the 2nd controller and My SSD and HDDs on the Intel controller, had no problem. I believe you have two controllers, a Intel and a gigabyte Sata 2 controller. You might try seperating them if they are all on the same controller

Cheers

I'll try the operation soonish, not today, got something COOKIN' right now.

Thanks for the experienced response :)  :D 
m
l
July 13, 2010 2:59:29 AM

weatherphobia said:
Thank you for allowing me to make this as clear as I can. My main and only concern was and is why does my SSD score lower or the same as my older 320GB Hard Drive?

EDIT:My SSD is adequate in performance, that is it is far faster than the magnetic drives.

so, the reason your ssd core is lower than the HDD score is because WEI gave you an incorrect score for the HDD. the HDDs are supposed to be capped at 5.9, so if it has given you that number it is an error with the benchmark.

m
l
July 13, 2010 4:18:41 AM

welshmousepk said:
so, the reason your ssd core is lower than the HDD score is because WEI gave you an incorrect score for the HDD. the HDDs are supposed to be capped at 5.9, so if it has given you that number it is an error with the benchmark.

Seriously I'm getting this vibe from everyone that I am putting too much emphasis and too much worrying over the WEI numbers.

If I am right please you or someone let me know.

ps..Maybe someone can help me with my other real problem[New Thread I created] of DVD's not being detected with AHCI mode.

Thanks one and all.

OneLastThing, can I link the new thread here? so it can get some fresh eyes on it to help me?

It's problems with AHCI + DVD disc not recognized...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=260175&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0"e_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

I'm asking because that forum seems slow and the people in this forum seem faster and more helpful.
If it breaks a rule I am sorry and will remove it promptly.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
July 16, 2010 5:24:16 AM

Dude, I got it. Check out the link to the other post!
m
l
July 16, 2010 6:44:50 PM

foscooter said:
Dude, I got it. Check out the link to the other post!

Forgive me but I searched this thread and found no Link...? :??: 
m
l
!