Hp 9650f / eSATA problem- exchange? return?

I just got the HP Pavilion Elite 9650f.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01701249&lc=en&dlc=el&cc=gr&lang=el&product=3942960

Overall happy with the comp. I have one issue: the eSata ports do not work with my Vantec enclosure. I've now called HP tech and customer service and issued an exchange request. I have untill Monday to cancel it.

Mobo w/ eSata ports: Pegatron (a relatively unknown?)
i7 920 CPU
Enclosure: Vantec Nexstar 3
Drive in the Vantec: WD Caviar Black, 1TB

The drive IS picked up when using:
1. USB (plug and play)
2. bracket that came with Vantec enclosure (plugged into board SATA -> eSata adapter), the driver even loaded as WD. Note that I could just use this bracket forever, but figure well I bought it with the esata ports, they should work.

The drive is NOT picked up when using the eSATA ports in the back of the machine.

HP's answer: This is our newest line, and there have been no reports about this issue yet because not many people have eSata. It may be the ports, may be the drive+ports being picky together.

Besides testing with a new enclosure to see if the ports are working, any other ideas? (Its too late to get one overnighted by Amazon). Would you exchange at this point?

Can I zip out to Best Buy to get a quick other esata device to test with?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about 9650f esata problem exchange return
  1. I'd get another eSata device (loan one, don't buy it) and see if it works with the port. If not, return!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Hewlett Packard Vantec