Is a higher memory frequency really necessary?

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Do you really need a higher memory frequency? I mean, does it really give you that big of a performance boost?

I noticed that memory with a higher frequency usually had a higher CAS, whys that...?

I was lookin at some MB's, and the foxconn blood rage is able to OC memory up to 2500+, is that right, or even possible? or a typo?

You'd need artificial benchmarks to tell the difference.

I noticed that memory with a higher frequency usually had a higher CAS, whys that...?

At faster clock speeds, it often takes extra clock cycles to run the data through reliably. Hence the higher CAS timings.

I was lookin at some MB's, and the foxconn blood rage is able to OC memory up to 2500+, is that right, or even possible? or a typo?

Possible, when overclocking DDR3 2000 RAM. Please refer to my first answer regarding artificial benchmarks.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
ok ok, so should i OC it to 2500? Or stick to a smaller memory, like 1800?

Dont mind me asking, the most you can OC your memory to is the maximum amount of memory frequency your MB can support? As in a board supports 1800/OC at a maximum, cant go over 1800 mhz?

Dont mind me asking, agian, if you buy lets say, 1333 mhz memory with 6 CAS, and OC the memory to uhm, 1800 mhz, will the CAS increase?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
My recommendation is buy what you can afford. Typical 6gig 1600mhz cas8 kits are around $100.

Truth is, you really don't need any more than that. Heck you don't need more than 1333mhz ram.

If you want to run your RAM at 1800mhz, you should go ahead and buy 1800mhz ram to start with. Overclocking is not a guaranteed.

I wouldn't worry too much at timings, It has almost no affect on overall system performance, as shown with gaming performance
HERE

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

1337? That's a rather unusual memory speed. Maybe it's a new AMD socket type?

Well... The short answer is that your e-peen isn't ours to service.. :eek:

If you want to spend the money so you can tell people you have more MHz then they do, then feel free to do so. All you have to do is buy the stuff and set the memory divider.