XP client lost access to Server 2003

golfin86

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I have a small business network of about 20 computers. On friday, one of them lost connection with the server. We cannot access the computer from remote desktop or the server. It is still connected via ethernet cord, but will not pull info from the server.

I could log into the computer on Friday. Now Monday I can no longer do so.

The domain is unavailable, but I have tried to remove it from the server and then add it (similar to adding a new machine). Didn't work.

I have tried replacing the network cable running from the computer to the server, no luck. (the cable was good, as it was on a computer linked to the network before being swapped)

Anyone have any ideas?

We work with XP Pro SP2 (some software we use does cooperate with SP3) and Windows Server 2003

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I have tried replacing the network cable running from the computer to the server, no luck. (the cable was good, as it was on a computer linked to the network before being swapped)
Did you confirm it had been given a proper IP address for that domain by the DHCP(assuming you're using one) and not a generic fail-safe one Windows provide?

golfin86

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
It had been working fine prior to the issue. Unfortunately, I cannot log into the computer (noone else can either) so I can't check that information.

I have logged into the router and it is being given an acceptable IP Address (same one it had before the issue).

golfin86

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Was looking elsewhere for help as well. Was prompted to remove it from the domain and add it again. This did not work, now cannot log in.

Only decision left is to reinstall Win XP Pro and start from scratch. Luckily all documents are kept on the server, not the individual PCs.

If anyone reads this after the fact, please make sure ALL files are BACKED UP before trying solutions. This saved me much time and frustration when a process went sideways on me.

storman

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I think i may have had a similar problem. I installed a an MYOB software update on our server then all of our workstations were unable to access the server. My error message was something along the lines of domain controller not available.

I solved my problem by the following steps
1) removing the computer (not the user) from the server
2) add it back on to the server
3) disconnect network cable from workstation
4) logon to the server (persist with trying to logon- eventually mine did)
5) after it starts loggin on, plug the network cable back in
6) right click my computer > properties> computer name
7) select network id. select next 4 times (in my instance we are logging onto a domain)
8) complete the required username, password and domain (if required) and select next. A message saying an account with the username has been found in the domain "domain". Do you want to use this? select yes.
9) next screen will come up saying do you want to add a user to this computer. I selected no not at this time. Next and then finish
10) restart and then hopefully problem solved