Sign in with
Your question

Confused over two custom desktops

Last response: in Components
April 7, 2009 3:53:51 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong place but the system forum seemed to be for branded only.

I am not very computer knowledgable and i am looking at these two systems

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVER-X-BLADE-PC-PHENOM-9950-750...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M9-WINDOW-PC-E7400-500GB-4GB-9800...

They are both the same price and yet the top one has a better graphics card (i think), a bigger HDD and is quad core rather than dual core.

The only other thing i see is that the 9800gtx only has 512mb memory and that the 9800 gt has 1gb but i have read quite a few times that the difference between game quality is extremely minimal between 516mb and 1gb cards. Is that the only reason why they are the same price or am i missing something?

April 7, 2009 4:03:06 AM

Well, Id be suspicious of anyone marketing the 9950 as '10.4Ghz'.

Your right on video cards tho, for the 9800 series, there is no difference between 512MB and 1GB.
April 7, 2009 4:39:27 AM

Wow, both of those PCs are advertising CPU speeds that's just their actual speed multiplied by the amount of cores... I can do that too, fear my 12.8 GHz CPU! But not really, because that's made of fail.

Both have the same no-name RAM (they say branded but don't say what brand, that means not well known). Same goes for HDD (though... it could be a WD or Seagate, even high quality hard drives are rather cheap these days).

9800GTX > 9800GT, even taking into account the memory differences.

Hmm... personally I wouldn't buy either and build my own. There's no guarantee that they're even using good quality PSUs, thermal paste, etc. so reliability would be a huge concern of mine.
Related resources
April 7, 2009 7:31:02 AM

You're asking for problems with both PC's. I've never seen anybody get a cpu up to 5.5+Ghz. They are saying that and then throwing in garbage parts around it. If you are going to buy a custom built pc, do it from a reputable builder.
April 7, 2009 11:06:20 AM

ewwwwww these pcs look dodgy. if its too good to be true it probly is. its a great price though lol
April 7, 2009 12:39:40 PM

Thanks for the warnings everyone. Is that the case with most ebay shops, that they put pc's up for good prices but apart from the processor and graphics card they use sub standard parts?

April 7, 2009 12:46:57 PM

aford10 - it's quite obvious what they're doing, the CPU's aren't actually 5.5+ GHz, the Phenom is 2.6 GHz, and the Core 2 Duo is 2.8 GHz, they just multiply the speed by the number of cores.

To be honest MichaelD_83, some ebay retailers are good value but either way they're always out to make a profit and do this however they can (cheapest parts possible generally gets them this goal while having 1-2 big parts to show off).

That said, I'm someone who'll never trust a prebuilt PC unless I handpick every single thing that goes into it, which is why I build them myself.
April 7, 2009 1:30:16 PM

Thanks for the advice Kraynor. It does seem that some ebay desktops are £100-£150 cheaper than some custom choice sites would be with the same kind of parts, maybe that is it.
April 7, 2009 3:37:50 PM

Kraynor said:
aford10 - it's quite obvious what they're doing, the CPU's aren't actually 5.5+ GHz, the Phenom is 2.6 GHz, and the Core 2 Duo is 2.8 GHz, they just multiply the speed by the number of cores.

To be honest MichaelD_83, some ebay retailers are good value but either way they're always out to make a profit and do this however they can (cheapest parts possible generally gets them this goal while having 1-2 big parts to show off).

That said, I'm someone who'll never trust a prebuilt PC unless I handpick every single thing that goes into it, which is why I build them myself.

I realize that. However, they aren't advertising it that way. Any reputable builder/seller knows that it doesn't work that way. If that's how they advertise, you should tread lightly.
!