timrodss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
im getting an alarm sound coming from my tower,used to be totally random and didnt happen that often,now i cant play a game for more then twenty minutes without it going off.it hasnt affected anything visually on screen or anything,its just annoying and loud and wont stop until i shut down and restart.anyone have a clue what this is?its not because of overheating either,its cool to the touch and fan is working properly

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Probably a temperature warning. Go into your BIOS and see what temp's it's set to go off at. Your heatsink might feel cool, but that's mainly because it's doing its job - transferring heat away from a warm source.

Download a CPU temp monitoring program that lets you view a graph over time or log the temps to a file. SpeedFan does this, I think. Load it up, then go gaming for a while. If the alarm goes off, alt+tab out and check your temps.

If the alarm's going off at ~50-60, then adjust it to 70 in your BIOS, or disable it completely if you're confident with your cooling (I wouldn't recommend doing this, the warning's a good failsafe if your CPU fan fails).

Kraynor is probably right. If the thermal alarm is set to 50 or 60 C., the motherboard thinks that it is overheating. I have the thermal alarms set to 70 C. on my motherboards.

And if it didn't do this before, and now the alarm is is more frequent, it may be a sign that you need to clear the dust out of your computer.

timrodss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

thanks i really appreciate the help.the problem is i have only basic knowledge of computers,i can certainly follow directions i f you woulldnt mind kind of breaking it down step by step for me starting with how i even get into my BIOS.any help is good thanks again.