M4A78T-E Chipset Heatsink is loose

Raziaar

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Hey guys. I just bought this product for my computer. First new computer I'll have in 6 years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366

My CPU gets here tomorrow, and that will be the last piece before I can run the computer and enjoy it.

However, the blue chipset heatsink on this thing is loose. When I move it it gives way, and sort of teeter totters a bit.

I am dreadfully worried about this. I don't want ANYTHING to go wrong with this motherboard.

Is this a big deal? Will this cause it to overheat and die on me? What can I do to solve this problem? Is there a way to tighten it down?

I've already mounted the motherboard in the case in anticipation of the CPU tomorrow, but I can remove it if you guys know what I need to do.

I should also note that it appears to be connected with springs. Could that be a reason it's loose like it is?

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Option#1
RMA the motherboard if you are in doubt.

Option#2
If your are referring to the northbrbidge cooler its hard for us to say, we can't physically move it to say how lose it is. Let me put it this way, there can be no gap between the NB cooler and the chip. You may want to pull the board back out to see if you can tighten it down some more provided the cooler has not lost contact with the chip. Use caution when using tools to tighten down screws, nuts, etc; on the board. You need to mask the surrounding area with masking tape to prevent scratching the board. After you are done, leave the board out and wait for your CPU. Mount the CPU/Heatsink then put the combo in the case. Place the board on a large anti-static bag or the motherboard box it came in for mounting the CPU.