Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hi!

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1Gb and I was wondering... it's a good idea to OC ? I mean, what about the useful life vs. performance relation?

I havent had real graphic issues yet, but sometimes I must deactivate some graphic options. Anyway, I know I should buy a better GPU, but it's during the while I save money...

Help!

(system: Win 7 Ultimate; CPU: Phenom x3 720 2.8MHz BE; 4Gb KVR DDR 2 800Mhz)

Solution
If you're gaming, then you'll probably see some improvement in framerate. Otherwise, I wouldn't really bother.

As for useful life vs. performance relation, as long as it keeps within the acceptable range of temperatures, it shouldn't suffer too much loss of life. Generally GPU fans don't run at 100% from factory, so you can up the fan speed to compensate for the additional heat being created. Mind you, this will also add some noise, but that's just part of it all.

From my personal experience, when I OC'd my card (8800GTS 320mb), I got quite an increase in frame rate. From the tests I did, I averaged ~8FPS increase. Mind you, this was quite an overclock, and it was running at about as fast as it could without modification.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
If you're gaming, then you'll probably see some improvement in framerate. Otherwise, I wouldn't really bother.

As for useful life vs. performance relation, as long as it keeps within the acceptable range of temperatures, it shouldn't suffer too much loss of life. Generally GPU fans don't run at 100% from factory, so you can up the fan speed to compensate for the additional heat being created. Mind you, this will also add some noise, but that's just part of it all.

From my personal experience, when I OC'd my card (8800GTS 320mb), I got quite an increase in frame rate. From the tests I did, I averaged ~8FPS increase. Mind you, this was quite an overclock, and it was running at about as fast as it could without modification.

Solution

yo_yo2400

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
a little overclocking doesnt really hurt lifespan, just keep the temps under control and you should be perfectly fine. It wont be up to a 5770 but it will get you the most out of your hardware. Good Luck!

Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

A little question.

Should I control the fan speed? the other day, when OC'd, after a long while (3 or 4 hours) the screen showed little cyan and grey squares and the system froze. I's because the default settings of the fan speed, that set's it at 3%?

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Do you mean 30%? 3% would fry a card. Download ATI tool and test your overclock, prepare to spend atleast an hour or so testing out safely what the best OC is for your configuration. Overclock it like 3-5MHZ at a time and download Furmark and see how hot it will get and adjust the fan speed according to that. I use MSI AFterburner to adjust my fan speed according to temp, when my temp is under 60 I keep my fan at 45, when it goes over 60 I set it to 55, then over 65 I increase it like 5% per Cº

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

You're getting artifacts from the card overheating. I really hope you mean 30%, because otherwise your card is most likely toast. I wouldn't really run the fan any lower than 70%. Even at this speed, it's practically inaudible, and still provides decent cooling. Bump up the fan speed until your temperatures are acceptable and the card is stable.

Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Explanation: Catalist set the fan speed at 3% base, but it would adapt itself depending on the requirements - otherwise i couldn't play STALKER COP or Metro 2033 (not OC'd card) without having these artifacts.

The thing is that after I set the fan at 80% when OC'd, I had artifacts anyway. I'm thinking to change to 64 bit system, so, i'll download the benchmarking apps you suggested and after updating OS, I'll test my card in order to see how much OC it will resist and if I really should OC it or not.

Thanks a lot!
I'll be posting my results