Old hard drive failed

Your link is bad...try again.

First of all, what motherboard do you have?

If the mobo is dated pre-2003, drives over 137GB MAY NOT work on it. But I beleive SATA came after that, even SATA I.

SATA II drives are backwards compatible, with a jumper setting, to go down to SATA I 1.5Gbps from SATA II 3.0Gbps.

Try www.newegg.com or www.microcenter.com.

If you only have SATA I, no need to get the "best" SATA II drives, as the "throttle down" will hinder them all. So any drive will be good: Samsung, Seagate, or Western Digital.

Can't tell you a size until I know if your board supports 48-bit LBA for drives over 137GB.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do NOT worry about HDD's over 137 GB. ALL SATA drives and controllers have 48-bit LBA Support included.

foscooter pointed out your mobo MIGHT have only the first version of SATA controllers, but if it was bought in 2007 or '08, you are more likely to have SATA II (i.e., 3.0 Gb/s communication speed). So SATA II drive are fine for you. With standard mechanical HDD's there is NO advantage to SATA 6.0 Gb/s, because no mechanical drive can even get up to the previous SATA 3.0 Gb/s speed. SATA 6.0 is useful now only for SSD units - solid state, VERY fast, VERY expensive per GB.

G

Western Digital is my hard disk. Works fine so far.

newegg.com, www.bestbuy.com Nice place to purchase new hdd.

if there is any data loss in the old disk you want to restore, i would recommend http://www.icare-recovery.com/

edlovereze

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
thanks for all the help guys and that link did die the night I posted it like right after haha. But I bought a 1.5TB instead of 2 because it was a lot cheaper. Hopefully that fixes my computers problem.