OCing PII 965 to 3.6ghz

Averagegai

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
First off, I just want to say I am using the stock cooler that came with my CPU so 3.6 is the highest I safe with.

I just increased the multiplier on my PII 965 from 17x to 18x and changed my voltage from Auto to 1.4v.

I think the Auto voltage at 17x was 1.4v as well so the voltage with the OC is still the same.

What I want to know is:

Was there anything else I was supposed to do when OCing?

I have Cool 'N Quiet enabled and since I didn't change the voltage, does this mean the heat produced when idle wouldn't be much more than w/o the OC?

Also, I ran Prime95 and the temperature hit 65C when OCed, which is 1C higher than when I ran it at stock speed.

Is the temperature okay since most games will never work the CPU as hard as the test?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I'd take voltage off auto and try to get it as low as you can. Just turn it down in small increments until it becomes unstable, and then turn it back up to the last known working configuration. Quite often, but not always, "Auto" will give the CPU much more voltage than it needs.

Averagegai

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I can't keep it under 55C under prime even at stock speed T.T

I noticed that OCed or not OCed, my temperatures were pretty much the same.

I'll try lower the voltage a bit.

Btw, how long should I run P95 to check for stability when lowering the voltage?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Ideally, you should run P95 for a few hours at minimum. Overnight is generally what people suggest, but 3-4 hours should be plenty for a moderate OC.

A bunch of runs of Intel Burn Test generally works pretty well also.

xAPOCALYPSEx

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

In my opinion, under 55C is the best situation possible. With my 955 BE and stock cooler, stock clock, I get to 65C running prime for a few hours. While the max rated temperature is 62C, it can get quite a bit hotter ( I start to feel unsafe at 68C.)

gorepuppy

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I dont know what the issue is I have the 955be and the stock cooler should be the same. I had bad luck with temps with the tim coating the heat sink.

I cleaned the cpu and the heat-sink till shiny, applied Stg-2 in with a very small X on the center of the cpu only, and wiggled it a pit before i clamped it.

I set my volts at 1.4 but i get huge vdroop I got my 955be stable 3.7 at 55C prime 24hour test blend and did a 4 hour test with in place large.

never got above 55C i can go higher maybe but with vdroop my 1.4 is 1.36 avg.

I would say the OEM Heat Sink is not all that bad at all, just clean that junk off of it and apply a good TIM

stock cooler should be able to go 1.45 i live in TX also, my AC sucks.

I could live with pirme testing at 58C-60C so now i got to figure out my voltages issue on a m4n98td evo :p

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

i'll tell you what

Turn AMD cool and quiet off its not really doing anything at all. or not that i notice. i jsut hit 4.0ghz on stock cooling with my phenom

i have no idea what board your using but you should turn the CPU fan up or else your not gunna much performance, unless you have a serious issue with the noise

this is a Black edition chip its build for overclocking don't touch your BCL

as for the Vcore i dropped mine to 1.35V and overclocked to 3.8 on stock cooling.

i've also noticed

1.4v = 3.9ghz
1.45v = 4.0ghz

haven't gone past that a lot of these will varry according to case fan and motherboard as well as CPU revisions.

i would suggest trying to lower your Vcore and see if it's still stable. cause if it is, your going to prolong your CPU's life.

and the max temp i would suggest pushing that CPU to is 75C seeing as past 79C you do some damage

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I know that I wouldn't ever let my chip go above 65C, and I wouldn't operate my CPU on a daily basis with a Prime95 temp above 55C.

The higher you go in temp, the larger the chunk of life that is taken from the chip.

Fact: Bears eat beets.

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
to be honest though you will problably never push your CPU as hard as prim 95. no game will ever be able to make 4 cores run all out, though enough video rendering/encoding might do it.

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
okau i'll agree with you there and stop spamming this persons thread with nonsense BACK to the topic!

after doing a little recent testing with Unigine heaven i discovered you get better performance in game with a 965 at 3.8ghz then and 3.9 or 3.8, problably something to do with my FSB. bottomline you won't ever go above 55C as you can still undervolt when your OC'd to 3.8ghz