squallboogie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I just recently bought 2 sticks of 2 gigs of g-skill ram at 1066 MHz, and when i installed them i noticed that it was only running at 800 MHz. I took out the old ram so it has no reason to down clock the ram. I tired doing it in the bios but it only said i can look at the information and not change it. I have a Dell xps 720, 8800 gtx, e7650 and vista 32 bit. If i cant change it in the bios, isn't their a program out their that can force the ram at the higher speed? Thanks

Technically, 1066 is overclocked RAM. Most boards will detect and set it at 800mhz, since that is the standard. Not unusual at all to have to enter the BIOS and set the speeds to 1066 manually. Unfortunatley, dude, you have a Dell. Which means you have not got options to change the memory speed or timings in your BIOS.
As stated above in TonCharr28's answer, no problem, they will work at 800 perfectly fine. And on another note, there is no detectable difference in the speed of 800mhz memory and 1066 anyway. In fact, 800mhz memory with tight timings will be faster than similar 1066 memory with looser timings.
So basically, put them in, start it up, and forget about it.

squallboogie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
well thanks for the information. Got more help out of this fourm than i did out of dells. At least i got my /3gb switch to work.