VGA to TV??? Non-HDTV...UK

faridakoi

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
thinking of doing a BUDGET build and dont want to spend on a monitor, I have a CHEAP SD tv with SCART input (English thing) and normal cable-tv/RF antenna cable. I wanted to know if I can use my computer through a basic VGA to SCART/RF cable, onto the TV. Can it work?? Anybody else tried? Please help as will otherwise have to buy crap, cheap monitor. Thanks.

Roffey123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I'll be frank...the answer is quite simply no. The resolution for an SD tv is simply way too low for a modern computer to output correctly - and even if it did, it'd be incrediblely blurry.

Let me explain further, the average screen resolution that the consumer has is 1024 x 768, a signal for broadcast on an SD TV is at most 720 x 576, and there is no display option on any modern computer than goes below 800 x 600, and that's at a stretch. This, sadly, is the truth - so that "crap, cheap monitor" is frankly your only option. That being said there are plenty of passable (note: PASSABLE) monitors being sold for less than £100 these days, and of course, there's always ebay.

If you've such a small budget that you can't build a system without resorting to a SD TV, I suggest just plumping for a cheap and cheerful pre-built system, otherwise its more of a problem than its worth.

faridakoi

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks so much!!!

Thought no one would be able to help and then!!! Thats why I love forums, people always come around to help. I was worried about this being a problem and remember never seeing any settings lower than 800x....

I think what I'll do is get an old school CRT massive monitor which are going for nothing...

Thanks anyway dude!!!

TRENDING THREADS