Sims 2: Application has crashed error

noname

Just built a new computer a week or so ago.

Asus A8V Deluxe mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Logisys 500W Power Supply
1 Gig DDR400 Memory (Infineon made by Samsung...I think)
ATI Radeon 9550 256MB RAM AGP
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Maxtor 160Gig Ultra ATA/133 HD, 7200RPM, 8MB cache
Windows XP SP2 (currently updated)

Installing Sims 2 went fine. Playing, (I've only been building this go round
so far) goes fine with the exception of the odd crash/error. I *always* get
that error when exiting game though, and once in a while during startup (of
the game). The error only says "The application has crashed. The application
will now terminate." I click ok and go back to my desktop.

When playing I turn off most of my processes. I don't run any spyware/avg
while in game. I don't have any chat programs going. Other than the normal
13-14 for XPp, I have my ati processes running (2), teatimer (comes with
spybot, alerts you to changes to your system startup), RcMan (still not sure
what that is) and sometimes gnotifier (gmail).

Ran the DirectX Diagnostic....all tests were fine.

On the system tab-

O/S: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
Sys Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Sys Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Bios: BIOS Date: 10/27/04 Ver: 08.00.09
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page file: 186MB used, 2274MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

On the display tab-

(device)
Name: Radeon 9550
Chip Type: Radeon 9550 AGP (0x4153)
App. Total Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1152x864 (32 bit) (85Hz)

(drivers)
Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6430 (Eng)
Date: 03/02/2004

I don't know why the System Manufacturer and Model are "To be filled by OEM"
on the system tab. Although I did get quite a bit of bundled software/suites
with some of my hardware, I don't think any of them would show here.

On the System Information/Components/Display screen, My Radeon is listed
twice. The second listing has it's name as Radeon 9550 Secondary. The info
for color planes, table entries, resolution and bits/pixels are all "Not
Available". The Memory Addresses are different for each listing, but other
than that, they are identical. I'm not sure why this one card is listed
twice or if that's even a problem for my game. It has filled up quite a bit
of space under System Information/Hardware Resources/Conflicts&Sharing
though.

This was happening on every exit and the occasional game start up BEFORE I
added any 3rd party downloads. (I had downloaded the maxis made objects and
the patch) It also happens, now, when I enter my backed up neighborhood (and
houses when the neighborhood doesn't crash) that has 3rd party downloads in
it.

Any clues as to what is causing this error would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
noname

What does the box look like? An XP error box, TS2 box? If it is an XP
dialog does it provide any extended data?

When you run "dxdiag" it does a series of WMI calls to get your system
information. The generic "To be filled by O.E.M." strings are supposed to
set by an OEM system builder if one exists (i.e. if Dell built your system).

Richard

"noname" <hip_ster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> than that, they are identical. I'm not sure why this one card is listed
> twice or if that's even a problem for my game. It has filled up quite a
> bit of space under System Information/Hardware Resources/Conflicts&Sharing
> though.
>
> This was happening on every exit and the occasional game start up BEFORE I
> added any 3rd party downloads. (I had downloaded the maxis made objects
> and the patch) It also happens, now, when I enter my backed up
> neighborhood (and houses when the neighborhood doesn't crash) that has 3rd
> party downloads in it.
>
> Any clues as to what is causing this error would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> noname

"noname" <hip_ster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just built a new computer a week or so ago.

(snipped)

> On the System Information/Components/Display screen, My Radeon is listed
> twice. The second listing has it's name as Radeon 9550 Secondary. The info
> for color planes, table entries, resolution and bits/pixels are all "Not
> Available". The Memory Addresses are different for each listing, but other
> than that, they are identical. I'm not sure why this one card is listed
> twice or if that's even a problem for my game. It has filled up quite a
bit
> of space under System Information/Hardware Resources/Conflicts&Sharing
> though.

This is working as designed--the second listing is for a second monitor, and
the info is "Not Available" if you only have one monitor connected to the
graphics card.

> This was happening on every exit and the occasional game start up BEFORE I
> added any 3rd party downloads. (I had downloaded the maxis made objects
and
> the patch) It also happens, now, when I enter my backed up neighborhood
(and
> houses when the neighborhood doesn't crash) that has 3rd party downloads
in
> it.
>
> Any clues as to what is causing this error would be much appreciated.

The first thing that comes to mind is that your video card may be having
problems switching resolutions when you enter or exit the game. If you're
normally running at 1152 x 864 but playing the game at another resolution,
say 1024 X 768, that may be making it barf. Try running both at the same
resolution and refresh rate, even if that means lowering your desktop
settings temporarily.

Secondly, try looking for a crash log text file in your ...\My Documents\EA
Games\The Sims 2\Logs folder. It'll be named something like "Sims2Exception
2005.02.11 16.30.20.txt" and will be paired with a minidump file with the
same name. If you've got one, see if the second line says something like:

Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.

I'm hoping that's not the problem, but I'll try to help anyway ;-)

~Lucy

noname

"Wesley" <ilovekiss@bless.you.com> wrote in message
>I wouldn't touch any ATI Radeon !

That's cool...leaves more for me. :p

I wouldn't touch anything *but* an ATI Radeon.

noname

noname

"Richard Forester" <richard_forester(nospam)@msn.com> wrote in message
> What does the box look like? An XP error box, TS2 box? If it is an XP
> dialog does it provide any extended data?

XP error box with no extended data.

> When you run "dxdiag" it does a series of WMI calls to get your system
> information. The generic "To be filled by O.E.M." strings are supposed to
> set by an OEM system builder if one exists (i.e. if Dell built your
> system).

Thanks.

noname

noname

"hey lucy!" <awricky@iwannabeinyourshow.com> wrote in message
> "noname" <hip_ster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just built a new computer a week or so ago.
>>
> (snipped)
>>
>> On the System Information/Components/Display screen, My Radeon is listed
>> twice. The second listing has it's name as Radeon 9550 Secondary. The
>> info
>> for color planes, table entries, resolution and bits/pixels are all "Not
>> Available". The Memory Addresses are different for each listing, but
>> other
>> than that, they are identical. I'm not sure why this one card is listed
>> twice or if that's even a problem for my game. It has filled up quite a
> bit
>> of space under System Information/Hardware Resources/Conflicts&Sharing
>> though.
>>

> This is working as designed--the second listing is for a second monitor,
> and
> the info is "Not Available" if you only have one monitor connected to the
> graphics card.

Ah, makes sense.

>> This was happening on every exit and the occasional game start up BEFORE
>> added any 3rd party downloads. (I had downloaded the maxis made objects
> and
>> the patch) It also happens, now, when I enter my backed up neighborhood
> (and
>> houses when the neighborhood doesn't crash) that has 3rd party downloads
> in
>> it.
>>
>> Any clues as to what is causing this error would be much appreciated.
>>

> The first thing that comes to mind is that your video card may be having
> problems switching resolutions when you enter or exit the game. If you're
> normally running at 1152 x 864 but playing the game at another resolution,
> say 1024 X 768, that may be making it barf. Try running both at the same
> resolution and refresh rate, even if that means lowering your desktop
> settings temporarily.

Will give it a shot. Had thought about that a few days ago but figured since
I didn't have the resolution 'change' problem some have reported having
after playing, then it wasn't needed.

> Secondly, try looking for a crash log text file in your ...\My
> Documents\EA
> Games\The Sims 2\Logs folder. It'll be named something like
> "Sims2Exception
> 2005.02.11 16.30.20.txt" and will be paired with a minidump file with the
> same name. If you've got one, see if the second line says something
> like:
>
> Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
>
> I'm hoping that's not the problem, but I'll try to help anyway ;-)

I have 27 error logs (and 27 mdmp's to go with them). I checked 10 of the
txt files and they all have that Access Violation error. There's also a
Texture errors log, but I'm assuming that happened after I dumped my
backedup game into this one.

noname

I like my ATI Radeon. What problems make you say you do not like it?

MM

"Wesley" <ilovekiss@bless.you.com> wrote in message
> I wouldn't touch any ATI Radeon !

I get this error sometimes when I have to many memory resident operations in
progress. Try turning off anything that is actively running in the
background - ie scheduled spy or virus sweeps. A friend of mine says that
his LeechHammer will knock the Sims out everytime.

MM

> [...]

> twice or if that's even a problem for my game. It has filled up quite a
bit
> of space under System Information/Hardware Resources/Conflicts&Sharing
> though.
>
> This was happening on every exit and the occasional game start up BEFORE I
> added any 3rd party downloads. (I had downloaded the maxis made objects
and
> the patch) It also happens, now, when I enter my backed up neighborhood
(and
> houses when the neighborhood doesn't crash) that has 3rd party downloads
in
> it.
>
> Any clues as to what is causing this error would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> noname
>
> Try updating your video drivers, the ones you have listed are older ones.
Also go to the Asus web site and see if there are any updated chipset
drivers for your motherboard.

noname

"Terryls" <terryls@hot.mail.com> wrote in message

> "noname" <hip_ster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> (drivers)
>> Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
>> Version: 6.14.0010.6430 (Eng)
>> Date: 03/02/2004
>>

>> Try updating your video drivers, the ones you have listed are older ones.
> Also go to the Asus web site and see if there are any updated chipset
> drivers for your motherboard.

Asus drivers are, from what I can tell, upto date. ATI released a newer
version of catalyst so I installed them. My computer slowed down so badly
(ex...menus taking so long to open that they'd grey out for a few seconds,
and then leave lines on my screen after closing them) that I had to rollback
to the one listed above.

Now that I've said that about Asus, I didn't check that after all. Just hit
me I went looking for an updated BIOS, got distracted and forgot to check on
the chipset drivers. <whacks self>

noname

> [...]
> Available". The Memory Addresses are different for each listing, but other
> than that, they are identical. I'm not sure why this one card is listed
> twice or if that's even a problem for my game. It has filled up quite a
bit
> of space under System Information/Hardware Resources/Conflicts&Sharing
> though.
>
> This was happening on every exit and the occasional game start up BEFORE I
> added any 3rd party downloads. (I had downloaded the maxis made objects
and
> the patch) It also happens, now, when I enter my backed up neighborhood
(and
> houses when the neighborhood doesn't crash) that has 3rd party downloads
in
> it.
>
> Any clues as to what is causing this error would be much appreciated.

Noname, I just noticed this in the readme. You may want to give it a try,
even though you don't have an Nvidia video card:
----------------------------------
PROBLEM: Game crashes soon after starting.
Some recent NVIDIA drivers have problems when running when Hyperthreading is
enabled on your processor. Try updating your driver first. If this doesn't
help, turning off Hyperthreading in your BIOS will workaround this issue. If
you have no idea what Hyperthreading or BIOS is, it's probably not worth
messing around with this stuff. Contact your video card manufacturer for
assistance.
----------------------------------
it's worth a shot.

HTH, Lucy

> "noname" <hip_ster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "hey lucy!" <awricky@iwannabeinyourshow.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > The first thing that comes to mind is that your video card may be
> having
>> > problems

On the list of supported video cards, mine isn't specifically (spelling
doesn't look right) listed. Mine is an ATI Radeon 9550. It lists the 9000,
9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800 but not 9550. Wondering if that means mine
isn't supported or if mine is included in the 9500 series boards.

noname

> "hey lucy!" <awricky@iwannabeinyourshow.com> wrote in message
> > "noname" <hip_ster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "hey lucy!" <awricky@iwannabeinyourshow.com> wrote in message

> > having
>

> On the list of supported video cards, mine isn't specifically (spelling
> doesn't look right) listed. Mine is an ATI Radeon 9550. It lists the 9000,
> 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800 but not 9550. Wondering if that means mine
> isn't supported or if mine is included in the 9500 series boards.
>

> noname

From what I see on the ATI site (www.ati.com), yours should work fine.
Sometimes boards aren't listed or "officially supported" because they're
relatively new, or because the game company didn't test the software using
that specific video card.

You can contact ea customer support if you want and ask them if it's
supported, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Just make sure
you're letting the game determine the antialiasing, as shown here in the
readme:
FORCED ANTI-ALIASING: Sims 2 will have graphical problems if anti-aliasing
is forced on in display properties. To fix this:
* Right click on your windows desktop and select Properties.
* Choose the Settings tab and press the Advanced button.
* Select the 3D tab and make sure SmoothVision is set to Application
Preference.
* If not, press the Custom... button and change the anti-aliasing setting
to Application Preference.