What does directv reciever detect on phone line in order t..

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 16, 2004 6:25:17 PM

What does directv reciever detect on phone line in order to get PPV?
If I was in a remote location without a phone line, could i somehow
mimick the voltage or ring tone or resistance of a phone line?

Or does it somehow actaully check the number it is connected to?

I also heard somewhere that you could order a PPV, disconnect from
phone line and recieve it remotely without the phone line connection
like at a campsite ect.

Whats the word?

Chow
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 6:40:51 PM

natureboy spewed forth with this commentary:

> What does directv reciever detect on phone line in order to get PPV?
> If I was in a remote location without a phone line, could i somehow
> mimick the voltage or ring tone or resistance of a phone line?
>
> Or does it somehow actaully check the number it is connected to?
>

> I also heard somewhere that you could order a PPV, disconnect from
> phone line and recieve it remotely without the phone line connection
> like at a campsite ect.
>
> Whats the word?
>
> Chow

IIRC, the info of your PPV will be saved on the card until the receiver can
dial out. then the receiver will clear the card of it's info. If this is
true, then you can take the receiver whereever... watch a PPV, then bring it
home and plug the phone back in.

--
RegNitto - USWest SC Ladder
Anonymous

"natureboy" <natureboy@quackquack.com> wrote in message
> What does directv reciever detect on phone line in order to get PPV?
> If I was in a remote location without a phone line, could i somehow
> mimick the voltage or ring tone or resistance of a phone line?
>
> Or does it somehow actaully check the number it is connected to?
>

> I also heard somewhere that you could order a PPV, disconnect from
> phone line and recieve it remotely without the phone line connection
> like at a campsite ect.
>
> Whats the word?
>
> Chow

You don't need a phone line to get and view PPV - only to pay for it. When
you order a PPV the info is stored on your Smart Card. DirectTV or Dish
"calls" your receiver from time to time, takes the info off of the card and
bills you. If they catch you trying to cheat by never connecting a phone
line they can make things very nasty for you.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 11:10:03 PM

"natureboy" <natureboy@quackquack.com> wrote in message
> What does directv reciever detect on phone line in order to get PPV?
> If I was in a remote location without a phone line, could i somehow
> mimick the voltage or ring tone or resistance of a phone line?
>
> Or does it somehow actaully check the number it is connected to?
>

> I also heard somewhere that you could order a PPV, disconnect from
> phone line and recieve it remotely without the phone line connection
> like at a campsite ect.
>
> Whats the word?
>
> Chow

Correct spelling is "Ciao" not "Chow"
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 6:58:13 AM

The receiver logs the purchase and then calls in when it can. It will
let you purchase a couple PPVs off line. But then it will stop until it
is allowed to check in. They DO check the location it is calling from to
make sure you are not in some commercial establishment like a bar or
something.
Mike

natureboy wrote:

> What does directv reciever detect on phone line in order to get PPV?
> If I was in a remote location without a phone line, could i somehow
> mimick the voltage or ring tone or resistance of a phone line?
>
> Or does it somehow actaully check the number it is connected to?
>
> I also heard somewhere that you could order a PPV, disconnect from
> phone line and recieve it remotely without the phone line connection
> like at a campsite ect.
>
> Whats the word?
>
> Chow
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 2:40:34 AM

I have NEVER hooked up our 2 DTV receivers to a phone line- for the
little we use it, I just call in on any phone, type in our home phone #
for billing, and a few seconds later, both our receviers can get the
PPV! I assume this would work if taking the receiver and a dish on the
road?
!