Sign in with
Your question

List of Necessary Drivers/Software for brand new build

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2009 1:14:30 AM

Hey all,

I'm assembling my own system from scratch and was just wondering if you could all enlighten me on all the driver/software I'll need to update once I am done assembly.

I already have the updated BIOS for my motherboard...trying to get updated driver for the Graphics card but the site is being stupid.

Other things I know I need to get are the newest keyboard and mouse drivers(Logitech G11 and G5 mouse).

I'm not sure if the Vista I got comes with Service Pack 1, or if they do that at all, but I know I will need the newest Service Pack. It still is Service Pack 1, right? I checked Microsoft's site real quick and I thought it had a Service Pack 2 but it was in beta.

Also, I heard something about the CPU chipset drivers, or something along those lines...

But, yeah. List everything a new system needs after assembly, it will help me out wonderfully.

Thanks in advance!

Here's my system if it helps:

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Ram:G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner
PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75CF Red 750W
CPU Heatsink: ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Mobo: ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard .
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD

More about : list drivers software brand build

January 9, 2009 1:05:31 PM

Where did you hear something about "CPU chipset drivers"
Check the ASUS website for P5Q-E drivers and utilities. Should be the same place you got the BIOS update. Carefully check the version/date and change log with what you already have. You shouldnt need many updates with new hardware. Check back every six months of so looking for important updates.

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 SP1 = service pack 1 already installed. You won't be required to slipstream SP1 onto the installation disk. SP1 is already installed on the media for you. You will want to get the latest "Windows Updates" not long after you start connecting to the 'Net.

Get your AV and security up and running early. Some good free options: Avast! Home Edition or AVG Free Edition anti-virus.
Comodo Firewall Pro or ZoneAlarm Free for your firewall. (and turn off the Vista firewall you don't want to use 2)
Windows Defender and Trend Micro HijackThis for anti-spyware.

Seriously consider switching over from Internet Explorer to Firefox 3

January 13, 2009 2:01:44 AM

I don't remember where I heard about chipset drivers. I thought they mentioned drivers for the CPU, but I'm probably wrong. I did download some of the drivers and utilities from the Motherboard CD. Most of them shouldn't need to be updated (Burning Software, PC Probe...), but they may.

The motherboard CD did have some drivers that I was unsure if I needed or not, so I haven't installed them, and won't until I find out what they are for. Ones I am unsure that I need are Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Driver, Mavell 61xx Sata Driver, and the Sound Max ADI Audio Driver(pretty sure this is to enhance your sound options, but not necessary). The CD also had Anti-Spyware utility, but it mentioned I should download the latest version of Internet Explorer then install it. However, since I'll be using Firefox exclusively(first thing I downloaded once I got connected), I am not sure if I will use that utility, unless I find that I need to access a website that doesn't support firefox.

On the note of security. I was thinking about buying a good anti-virus/spyware program, and leave the firewall up to the normal Vista firewall. I'm still deciding because I know those software can get kind of pricey. I might just use free software, like the ones you recommended( probably good since you recommended them).

Thanks a gain for the posting, and helping me out through this whole process.
!