Relationship between monitor and videocard and resolutions

Ahumado

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I will try to be clear, be tolerant.

I see in the Best cards for the money articles screen resolutions included.

So does that mean my GT 8800 isn't really powerful enough to run a 22 inch monitor at accetable(you choose) resolutions or does it mean that a GTX 260 + is to much videocard for my 19 inch non-wide screen monitor. If you can supply a link or elucidate for me Thanks.

Solution

In general a bigger screen will require a more powerful video card due the increased number of pixels being controlled and the resulting increase in graphics data to be processed. You are correct that lower end or older graphics cards may not be able to handle running newer games on larger monitors. For example, if you had say an HD4670 or a...

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

In general a bigger screen will require a more powerful video card due the increased number of pixels being controlled and the resulting increase in graphics data to be processed. You are correct that lower end or older graphics cards may not be able to handle running newer games on larger monitors. For example, if you had say an HD4670 or a 9600GT you could probably comfortably run nearly every currently available game on resolutions up to 1280x1024 and probably some older titles at even higher resolutions. If you were to buy a 22" monitor and run a 1680x1050 resolution you would likely find that you would need to upgrade your card to achieve satisfactory framerates on newer games (older games would likely still be fine).

As for your question on the 8800GT versus the GTX260, and 8800GT is probably borderline for a 1680x1050 resolution on the newest games. It can probably still handle that resolution on 95% of the games out there, but likely will struggle with the newer stuff. Pretty much the same thing can be said for any card that is over a year old. A GTX260 should be able to comfortably handle pretty much any game at 1680x1050 (except possibly for Crysis, but that game sucks anyways) and can do most at 1920x1200 without much trouble. It would definitely be overkill on a 19" monitor.

Now, if you're trying to make a decision on whether to buy a new monitor or a new video card I'd recommend that you buy the monitor. Video card prices are much more volatile than monitor prices and you will likely see the video card prices drop substantially in a few months when the new models start to appear, whereas monitor prices likely won't change appreciably.

Solution

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
It's worth pointing out that resolution is not the only factor you should consider when gauging the effectiveness of a graphics card for you. The games you intend to play, the visual settings you like to use, and your framerate tolerance all come into play as well. JAE skillfully worded his/her post by saying "should" and "probably" instead of bluntly stating things like "The 8800 GT is not enough for 1680x1050." After all, someone might be using an 8800 GT at 1920x1200 and be happy with their 30 fps on UT3.

19" CRTs can do 1600x1200, which is more pixels than 1680x1050 =P

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

some 19" CRT can go higher than that, mine does 2048x1536.