Hard drive with on off switch

herewiniwalker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
it would be awesome to have a pc that has a hard drive that i can switch on and off as i please (internal) is there anyway i can do this? mount a switch onto my pc to control a spare hard drive? ive never herd of it mind you i havent herd of much lol

Solution
This will increase the possibility of operator (you) errors, sometimes with disastrous results. No, you do not want an internal HDD with a power switch. External is another matter. Some green drives have sophisticated energy saving modes of operation specifically designed into them.

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Interesting concept. Not possible with PATA, but depending on your controller may be possible with SATA. A cutoff switch on the interface acting similarly to a hot swap might do the trick, although I can't for the life of me comprehend why you would want to do that.

This will increase the possibility of operator (you) errors, sometimes with disastrous results. No, you do not want an internal HDD with a power switch. External is another matter. Some green drives have sophisticated energy saving modes of operation specifically designed into them.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS