What to do, what to do with this order!?

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Hey again guys and gals,
So, I've really run myself into a rut. I actually haven't built a thing yet, so I wasn't sure what forum I should put this into. I got quick responses in here and so am hoping that I will receive the same this time. So, I ordered about $540 worth of parts from NewEgg a week ago (ordered on 12/31) and planned on financing the other $600-700. I received the parts, know that the power source works, and have only checked to make sure that the other components (UD3P mobo, Sapphire Radeon 4870 1gb, Xigmatek 120mm Rifle Cooler) came with everything that they were supposed to. I just ordered a keyboard and a NZXT Tempest from TigerDirect because their shipping was better. The other parts that I was planning on ordering from NewEgg had free shipping offers on them, and so I thought that this was a wise choice.

Here's the problem. I was planning on financing the rest of the parts (CPU, Vista Home Premium x64, monitor, HD, and memory) through the NewEgg Preferred Account. I know I'll get some grunts from some people here, but I still think that it's a good idea. My only concern with this is that I placed an order, it was validated, and then I canceled it. I realized that I didn't triple check my cart and picked out the wrong RAM in the order and successfully canceled it. I tried placing the order again, and it turns out that the Preferred Account declined the charge!

I called the Preferred Account number and the rep I spoke with told me that my order needed to be forwarded to a "review team" before anything could be done about it. The order was placed to the same shipping address, etc. and the only reason that I can see for their rejecting my order is that I had just canceled a large order a couple hours prior. My limit is $2000, and I have well over $800 worth of credit left.

My problem is: I don't want to have this all processed in over a week, receive my new hardware, and then find out a piece of the hardware that I ordered a week back was DOA. I'm just really nervous about possibly being outside of the RMA time window, being stuck with a broken piece of equipment, and losing a lot of money. Am I reading NewEgg's policies wrong, or is this a possibility? I was hoping for some advice on what to do and if anyone has had a similar experience. Sorry for the essay!

Thanks,
Mike

I have dealt extensively with newegg and they are the best at customer service that I have ever dealt with. My assumption is that they are ultra sensitive to fraud like most credit companies. If you speak to the customer service and get it straighted out, your other parts may be only a day or 2 behind. You should have time to get everything checked before the RMA times expire. I have had to RMA a CPU and a couple of boards before and newegg still took the boards back after the RMA expiration. You can request a RMA from customer service even after the deadline and they will take care of their customer. Don't worry about newegg, they will make sure you are a happy customer!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Work it out and deal with any RMA based on the delay, which they know about. You probably won't have a problem anyway.

Next time DON'T STOP AN ORDER, ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE FINANCING SITUATION.

Wrong RAM right RAM you could have sent it back for the restocking fee. And now you're all turned around.

One thing my dad used to ask me when I dorked something, which was all too often, was "Did you learn anything?" Learning from the dorkdom is the most important thing. Just don't do it again.

On another note, I hope you ordered the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket For 3 heatpipes or the XIGMATEK ACK-I7753 Retention Bracket For 4 heatpipes. If you don't use that it will be more of a problem than the one you have now, in my opinion.

Also be aware that when applying thermal paste with the Xigmatek cooler, apply a thin layer across the CPU IHS (top) or across the whole base of the heatsink. The paste won't spread properly through contact because of the gaps between the heatpipes and the base.

Good luck with Newegg, they have always treated me properly.

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for your comforting responses, guys. I realized how I stupid I was to cancel the order after the fact and hadn't realized its repercussions until then. After looking at NewEgg reviews, I only saw one or two DOA 4870's and I guess the motherboard is the only one I'm concerned about now. Another reason I forgot to mention about this time constraint is the rebate money that I could possibly get ($85 from the first round of ordering...I know it's an ordeal but success is a possibility). I suppose I could do with mailing in the $40 PSU rebate as I hooked it up to an old computer and it powered up, but I think that I'll be holding onto it until I know it works on my computer.

I actually did include the bracket in the order that is being declined by NewEgg and wasn't positive about spending the extra 8 bucks, but thank you for the reaffirmation that I should!

From the representatives who have helped me since I joined NewEgg last summer and from your responses, I now have faith that this will all work out. I've just been very jittery because of the amount of money involved in this, and I haven't made such an investment before!

All the best,
Mike

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
First, relax it will all work out. Maybe not pristine, but that is life.

You can hold the rebates to the end of the postmark date and then spend a few minutes at the post office desk.

All is well, don't be freaked. You're not in the best position, but your potential losses are minimal.

Good luck, I think you will be ok.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Keep checking back daily for the backplate, the email response is tardy. Get it before the guys that are before you on the list get emailed. I hear people that whine about installing the backplate after the mobo is installed and I have to wonder. It only takes 5 min to remove the mobo and that is being conservative.

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Update:
So I called NewEgg Customer Service, the people there were fantastic, and tried to re-submit my order all three times I called. Each time it was declined, but each customer care rep was eager to try to resolve this. So I finally called the Prefedded Account number and the lady I talked to just started throwing out error code numbers for why my order was declined. She said that since where I'm shipping it out to *might* be outside of a given radius from my billing address, then it could have been flagged for fraud; she could put in a request to have it shipped there, but it could take up to two weeks! I need this to be shipped to my school, and not to my home. I told her that my first order, which was verified, was planned to be shipped to the SAME address as this order! She didn't have an answer for me, I asked to talk to a supervisor, and she told me that one would call back within two hours. I hope customer service gets better than this...I'm going to post in the NewEgg forums.

mexpedip

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Shipping address and billing address have to be identical.
In other words if you billing address is
1600 West Penn Ave
Washington, D.C. 99999

and your shipping address is
1600 W Penn Ave
Washington, D.C. 99999

then you order will not go anywhere. Typically to get the account unfrozen you need to answer 4-5 "identity" type questions like birth date, SSN, billing telephone number etc. If any part of it is wrong then the account stays frozen. No one will tell you if you get the question wrong. My guess is that this is one of your parents accounts that you are using and you got one or more of the questions wrong.

If the last sentence is true then you need to think about this; using someone else's cc while pretending to be that person is fraud and if caught you will be prosecuted regardless of what the "cardholder" says. Why? Because if CIT (they are the bank behind the "preferred accounts") authorizes the purchase and then one of the cardholders disputes it CIT is responsible for refunding the money regardless of whether or not they collect from you; and they will even if it takes 20 years, your first born and every penny you have.

Easiest way to resolve this is find out what the "preferred account" billing address is and change the shipping address to match identically.

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks mexpedip for your response. I'm 21 years old and am using my own NewEgg account, and my own bank account. I understand your point, but don't you DARE accuse me. I am an adult, I bust my balls working 20 hours a week while at school to make my own money; those accounts are 100% MINE. Unfortunately, my billing address is my home and need such a large order shipped to my school. I called again and talked to a supervisor, and she said that I will receive a call in 1-2 days to straighten things out so that I can get my stuff shipped to school.

mexpedip

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
don't get offended. it was not an accusation, it was a warning. what I described above is fairly common and most ppl don't know or understand the ramifications. In all seriousness, enjoy your 20hr work weeks and 18 credits per semester. It seems like a vacation after you start your career.

BTW, the only way to get it straightened out is to have your billing address changed to your shipping address or vica versa.

P.S. I went through the same thing when I moved across country. I had asked my son to place the order for me (he is 15 and it is/was his bday present and I am a **** father ;) ) and we went through pretty much the same thing as you are describing above. After a stern lecture from one of the customer service reps and 4 forms of proof of address (utility bill, cable bill, school enrollment and a copy of my property tax bill) I was able to get it straightened out.

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks, I apologize for the reaction...this is quite a frustrating situation. If I must, I will change my billing address to my school address as I will be living there for the next six months. I do online banking so it's not that difficult....wish I had thought of that in the first place!

I'll be going to grad school for my Master's, so I still have a couple more years before the real world :)

Thanks,
Mike

mexpedip

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
enjoy the time and since I am old and have kids I feel compelled to say...

don't let the games/comp interfere with your schooling. It can be tempting but in the long run you will be happier with your masters degree and good job then a high rank in whatever game you played.

mpowelljr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Well, I guess I found my answer to why my order was declined. How about a scenario of having a PO box as your billing address because there is no mail service to your residence? I have my office set up as my shipping address so I know I will be here when its delivered.

TRENDING THREADS