Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Computer Issues!!Should I blame the PSU?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Games
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 7, 2009 8:18:57 PM

Lately I was experiencing allot of issues with my system.
-Games stuttering allot,frames drop to single-digits for 5-6 seconds then go back to normal
-Bad general fps in several games(UT 3 ,crysis ran fine but today started to lag,nothing has changed,and other)
-Computer turned off with no warning a cuple of times lately (when on heavy load)
-when I start a game I hear a strange ,,click'' from the PSU
-probably PSU is overheating because fan is spinning very fast
-The +12v Rail drops to 11.70 on load,maybe a bit lower on extreme load.

Tried everything i know and don't know to fix it
-reinstall OS 3-4 times
-tried MANY drivers from 17x.xx-----> 185.xx,chipset drivers and sound drivers,different NVCP settings
-updated BIOS
-Defragmented
-Virus scan
-Registry/system cleaner
-Vista tweaking(ussles services and other stuff disbled)
-I tried swapping the cards
-Mobo died once when I tried to overclock to 3800 mhz(bios erased itself,maybe a mobo issue)
Videocard: 8800 GTS 512 SLI
Processor: Core 2 Duo E8400@3.6GHZ
Mainboard: Asus P5N-D
Memory: 4 GB 800mhz
Soundcard: integrated REALTEK
PSU: Corsair 550w VX
CPU OC'ed at 3600 mhz,GPU at 730mhz

Here are my PSU specs http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/p...ming-edition/3
Please help me.I'm desperate here!! I invested allot in this rig and I want to experience smooth game play.

More about : computer issues blame psu

April 8, 2009 4:30:25 AM

Hey,

this actually sounds more like your processor is over heating not your..psu. . . what r ur processor temps..i know the e8400 runs very cool. But temps can get up there in heavy gaming... speed fan is the easier of the monitors to read off of for temps.

your psu fan might be spinnng so hard.. do to system heat... thats the first place i would start...

if you truly think its the psu. . . i would invest in a more stable psu..if it happens to go it could take your whole cpu...

Although i still think it sounds more like a heating issue than. . .psu issue..
But than again... with your set up.. the sli and and overclock..on the might be drawing to much power..try taking it down a notch and c if it does the same thing. . . always start back to where the system was running good. .. and test from there.. do a few bench tests/stress test to find it anything is throwing off a warning.

when i hit your link i dont get anything sorry. so im not quite sure what type of psu your are actually running off of. .. . when looking at psu..always look at the rails.. you always want around a 35 across the 12v.rail gives you ..more play room. dual rails ..is the way i ussally go. . .
April 8, 2009 7:18:19 AM

It's not a CPU overheating issue.I'm shure of that.CPU idles at 34°C and NEVER went over 45°C.
My PSU has 2 +12V rails. 15A and 16A.Not the best I know.
Related resources
April 8, 2009 7:24:51 AM

Possible that the Vid card is overheating too (although I would replace that PSU ASAP). download rivatuner and crank up the fan speed on that card (had mine set to 75% while gaming).
April 8, 2009 7:34:38 AM

what exact psu do you have?
April 8, 2009 8:31:37 AM

not a very reputable brand. could very well be the psu

also make sure your system is prime95 small ffts and memtest86+ stable
April 8, 2009 9:18:40 AM

I'm going to get the corsair 550W VX in an our or so from a local shop to replace the xilenece.What do you think?
April 8, 2009 9:36:40 AM

it could fix the issue, however if it is the memory thats bad the new psu wont do it.

Regardless having a high quality psu is important, and i defenatally think that upgrading to the corsair is a good move
April 8, 2009 9:40:34 AM

I tested the memory with memtest86+ for 10 hours ----->0 Errors
Will I be able to OC my CPU further with the corsair
April 8, 2009 10:31:05 AM

I would go for the 650tx more +12 amps for that overclock...
It's definately the psu scince this is a problem that has slowly gotten worse..
Don't wait too long as it can potentially take out all your components if it goes boom!
April 8, 2009 11:04:50 AM

I'm installing the 550VX now!
a c 244 ) Power supply
April 8, 2009 12:04:05 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
I would go for the 650tx more +12 amps for that overclock...

Why would you need 12 more amps for the overclock ?
April 8, 2009 4:52:59 PM

It's not 12 more amps I ment to say more +12 volt amps.......
Cause his 2 8800GTS cards are drawing preatty heavy at full load and for the 20.00 difference more current is better.....
Also, what if he wants to suddenly move to 2 GTX260's...they're getting preatty cheap now adays, he's got no worries......another benefit is his psu will be running cooler.
My personal rule of thumb is...I never want to use more than 75% of my psu at full load.....
Hope this helps.
a c 244 ) Power supply
April 8, 2009 5:19:43 PM

Not knowing his full specs it's hard to guess, but based on what he has given with a single hard drive and 3 system fans he's only going to be running at about a 50% load on the 550w, it'll run cool enough like that.
Looking to the future is always a good idea, but it would seem it was more important for him to have his system run properly now.
April 8, 2009 6:43:55 PM

Not knowing his full specs it's hard to guess, but based on what he has given with a single hard drive and 3 system fans he's only going to be running at about a 50% load on the 550w, it'll run cool enough like that.
Looking to the future is always a good idea, but it would seem it was more important for him to have his system run properly now.

His specs are at the top of the page....and 2 8800GTS cards are going to draw more than 1 GTX260.....

I'm running a Corsair 550vx and I love it!
Best power I've ever owned...have to wait 3-5 minutes with speedfan on to see any change in power supply.....+ 5year warranty!
a c 244 ) Power supply
April 8, 2009 7:32:21 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
His specs are at the top of the page....and 2 8800GTS cards are going to draw more than 1 GTX260.....

Not included are the number of harddrives or fans or any pci cards or other extras that he might have in the box.
And yes, two 8800's will certainly draw more than one 260, that doesn't change the basic math that determines the amount of load on the psu.
April 9, 2009 10:43:25 AM

when the +12volt rails are dropping to 11.70 volts at full load.That certainly means that the psu is not doing what it's supposed to be doing!
If you want...start your system up fire up speedfan and look at your voltages...if they are jumping arround then your psu is not stable.
A good psu will keep your voltages rock steady maybe +/- 0.5 volts at idle.
At full load (running prime) my +12volt rail reads +11.99 volts..also you have to figure in the increased power needed for the overclock.. you don't get something for nothing!
But, lets not start bickering, we're here to help this guy.....ok dell?
a c 244 ) Power supply
April 9, 2009 11:54:46 AM

Not bickering, and the OP has already done what he's needed to by replacing his psu with a better quality unit.
PS; If you want to get accurate voltage readings get a DMM and use it.
April 9, 2009 1:04:21 PM

DMM = a digitl multi- meter i use it all the time..and anyone who is in on this thread should too!
They are cheap! compared to replacing a whole comuter..lol
April 9, 2009 10:46:55 PM

I have 1 HDD ,1 dvd drive,and 2 120mm fans ,1x80mm and 1 60mm on the NB,no sound or other PCI cards.
How should I mesure the +12V rail?HWmonitor,is it good?