Home network by ethernet

newgeek

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I am having a trouble understand of these network cable stuff. I am trying to wire network cable throughout the house with ethernet connection. But the there are two types of cable that I am not sure about. One is called CAT5 or 5e, the other is CAT6. which one is the better or anything different at all?

If you are completely understand what I tried to say then please ask...English is my second language so I have to miss something or lots of things.

Thanks

all different standards, all the same wire. cat6 is certified for gigabit over ethernet. truth be told it's no different then cat5e. I forget what changed from cat5 to cat5e.

The only important thing is plenum grade wire. If you are running the wire through vents then you must use plenum. It's non toxic when it burns.

Buy cat5e it's usually cheaper then cat6.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
PsyKhiqZero is right, cat5e works perfectly fine for gigabit ethernet and there's no use in spending the extra money for cat6. We use professional cable testers at my work to test all our cat5e runs for gigabit bandwidth and they always pass 100%. Buy cat5e and be at ease.