Sign in with
Your question

I7 temps on stock, can someone just explain a bit...

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Intel i7
  • World Of Warcraft
Last response: in CPUs
April 7, 2009 8:23:19 PM

What im looking for in terms of normality when checking my temps? So much is just all so very new to me, i installed realtemp and im just keepin an eye on my system and core 0 seems to be getting the hottest, about 8c or 9c above the next core and while im 2 boxing in WoW core 0 gets into about the upper 70s at moments. The others are in the 50s and 60s.

When it comes to overhearting one of these, is it based on all 4 cores overheating or should all cores be at the same temp pretty much?

More about : temps stock explain bit

April 7, 2009 8:41:56 PM

Real temp is showing maximum temps at:

80 68 75 64

Should running 2 WoW accounts really boost temps like this or what am i missing?
April 7, 2009 9:19:09 PM

try using speedfan instead,
When you put your hand outside the case just on the other side where the CPU is, do you feel it's heating up? At 80 degrees you should be able to tell the cpu area is hotter than everything else. Doing this you can explore the posibility the temp readings are wrong.

If it's indeed running that hot then maybe the cooler is not properly seated, not doing enough contact with the cpu.
Check those options and also the case ventilation, put some specs please.
Related resources
April 7, 2009 9:28:53 PM

My system is an i7 920, gtx 295, gigabyte ex58 extreme and 6 gb 1600 DDR3.

And yea i was gonna mention that, i feel like almost no heat at all in there...the heatsink isnt even hot when its showing me these readings.

And see im just so new to all this stuff, i stopped building a long time ago when the fan on a cpu was like the size of a 50 cent piece lol, so im just extra cautious here and paranoid.

Like right now, just out here posting with nothing else up its showing 50-52c....that cant be right can it?
April 7, 2009 10:07:25 PM

All i did is add a 1920x1200 res monitor to my system and grabbed like one or two new windows updates that it told me...i dont think my system was doing this the other day.

this is a brand new build too, only about 2 weeks old.

Ill try that temp program you mentioned, but i just feel something is off...and like i said when i feel the inside of my case and touch the heatsink, its not hot at all.

I ran the windows experience upgrade thing and it showd my core temp numbers on like 0 and 2 hitting in the 90c ...that obviously can not be right?

April 7, 2009 10:23:39 PM

if you touch the heatsink and it's not hot and you're getting hot temps, 2 things can be happening:
1. the heatsink is not getting hot because is not doing good contact with the cpu, thus the cpu is hotter and heatsink cooler.

2. the temps are being read incorrectly.

I had a problem like that with my quadcore, Speedfan was showing 60 52 52 51 idle on my temps, and I touched the base of the heatsink and it was just warm, like a person's temperature 37-38 degrees i would say.
Then I read that also speedfan shows something called caseTemp, it's like another temperature not from any core but for the geometrical center of all cores, and that temperature should not be more than 8-10 degrees away from actual cores temps.

so try loading your cores with an aplication like Intelburn and see what other temp in that table is getting hot at the same time your cores do.

Im in my office atm, but If i remenber right you will see several cputemps and below those the core temps.

try that and post results please. :) 

http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedfan.jpg

The temp inside a circle is my cputemp, but usually is "temp2"
April 8, 2009 12:01:05 AM

Cant figure out how to take a screen of it bro, print screen but where does it go?

And i dont know man, i feel like my system is just fd somehow over something stupid and i am frustrated cuz i dont know why or how with this new tech.

Do your temps raise and lower nonstop when you turn on a game?

The temps with this program do calculate lower, 42 43 46 for temp 1 2 and 2 and temp is just at 0 and then the cores are at 36 36 30.

And my gpu for my gtx 295 has 2 temps, one at 55 and one at 52.

My fan 1 rpm is 22.....lol wtf is that? Is that the stock fan for the cpu?

Those are numbers with nothing else going on man, do they look right? Nothing seems out of whack when i game or anything, its just ike though i hear my system increase power usage when im not even doing much of anything, like it doesnt seem to idle in a game or something...i dont know.
April 8, 2009 12:26:18 AM

savatage79 said:
Cant figure out how to take a screen of it bro, print screen but where does it go?

And i dont know man, i feel like my system is just fd somehow over something stupid and i am frustrated cuz i dont know why or how with this new tech.

Do your temps raise and lower nonstop when you turn on a game?

The temps with this program do calculate lower, 42 43 46 for temp 1 2 and 2 and temp is just at 0 and then the cores are at 36 36 30.

And my gpu for my gtx 295 has 2 temps, one at 55 and one at 52.

My fan 1 rpm is 22.....lol wtf is that? Is that the stock fan for the cpu?

Those are numbers with nothing else going on man, do they look right? Nothing seems out of whack when i game or anything, its just ike though i hear my system increase power usage when im not even doing much of anything, like it doesnt seem to idle in a game or something...i dont know.

http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=beforeload.jpg that's before load, note the temp1 and core (0,1,2,3) temps.

http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=underload.jpg That's during load, note that temp 1 got higher as well the core temps...

Sooo, you need to look for that temp too, notice that that temp is lower than the cores temps but not lower than 5-8 degrees from the hottest.

check that temp and if it's 10-15 or more degrees less, then the temps are not being read correctly, that temp has to be close to the cores temp, always.
April 8, 2009 12:39:29 AM

The temp during gaming depends of the game you're playing, high-end - low-end,

also if the game is cpu intensive then your cores will heat up, even if you just stand still doing nothing (in the game).

seeing at the temp 1, 2, and 3 at 42, 43, 46 degrees, you gave me in your previous post, I can tell you your cores should be between 47-51 degrees.

if you hear more noise from your pc, it's probably just the fan speeding up.
April 8, 2009 1:48:22 AM

My program looks different, like its the same but its only showing 3 cores and not 4, like it doesnt show me core 0 1 2 3, it shows a temp which is at 0, then a core 0 1 and 2 but no core 3.

Is there an upgrade or option that i need to switch on by chance?

Also, if getting a new cpu fan is the key which do you recommened? Im not into OCing, but obviously i think i need something to really keep it cool.

But the thing is, these games im currently running just from what id assume arent intensive....like World of Warcraft and Neverwinter Nights 2 plus a few others, now Crysis will run on the machine here so obviously something has to be right if it runs a game like that dont you think?

The stock fan that came with the i7, it says for me "fan 1 - 19rpm"....is that really how bad that fan is?
April 8, 2009 3:38:12 AM

I think your PC is not overheating nor falling apart.

Right now there are some reported issues from programs and motherboards reading temps from 45nm quadcores, I've seen ppl reporting temps below room temp, or running idle at 80 degrees.

from what i can see that would be your problem, most likely your cpu is running at normal temps, and all the core temps are being reported wrong or not reported (like your core #3).

you can try maybe updating your bios from your motherboard manufacturer, sometimes they have a hotfix for these 45nms issues.

I'm using an aftermarket cooler, tuniq tower 120 which gives me some access to the base where the cpu is placed, you know, the metalic square around the cpu, anyways I was still unsure about my temps at idle, 60degrees, sooo i touched that base and it wasn't even warm, then I loaded the cores and it was marking 73 degrees, touched it again and just a bit warmer.

I know, and I'm sure you do also, that something at 80degrees, i.e. your cores, should feel like grabbing a hot cup of coffee more or less, when you touch it.

This might not be very scientific lol, but it's just common sense.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2009 3:45:08 AM

On my i7, it's been hard to find a reliable temp monitoring program. I've found realtemp seems to give the most reliable values. If those are accurate though, it's running a bit on the warm side.
April 8, 2009 4:44:17 AM

jassao said:
I think your PC is not overheating nor falling apart.

Right now there are some reported issues from programs and motherboards reading temps from 45nm quadcores, I've seen ppl reporting temps below room temp, or running idle at 80 degrees.

from what i can see that would be your problem, most likely your cpu is running at normal temps, and all the core temps are being reported wrong or not reported (like your core #3).

you can try maybe updating your bios from your motherboard manufacturer, sometimes they have a hotfix for these 45nms issues.

I'm using an aftermarket cooler, tuniq tower 120 which gives me some access to the base where the cpu is placed, you know, the metalic square around the cpu, anyways I was still unsure about my temps at idle, 60degrees, sooo i touched that base and it wasn't even warm, then I loaded the cores and it was marking 73 degrees, touched it again and just a bit warmer.

I know, and I'm sure you do also, that something at 80degrees, i.e. your cores, should feel like grabbing a hot cup of coffee more or less, when you touch it.

This might not be very scientific lol, but it's just common sense.

See that sounds like what im dealing with, because theres just no massive heat. Now my 295 is a little how, and it sits at about 55 or so when its not really being worked...but i can feel heat on it. My cpu, just cool as a cucumber...so thats why i think hes temp readings are just off.

And i was gonna say the same to the poster above me, those readings are high but like Jassao has been saying, theres just no heat to back up those readings...thats why i think im confused.

Updating the bios...now how do i go about that Jassao, is it like any other update of a driver, download and install or is there something else...ive always been hesistant with updating bios because its just always been made out to be pretty shakey if you dont do it right, so i just in al my pc years never messed with bios that much.
April 8, 2009 11:34:16 AM

If it will give you piece of mind then just buy a new heatsink, hell then you can OC that thing. I use Everest, Realtemp, and Speedfan to monitor temperatures. I can tell you that hitting 40-50c on idle is normal for the stock heatsink on an i7. Mine idles at 38-40c and it is overclocked to 4.2 Ghz with an extreme watercooling system that got my old E8600 under ambient temperature at stock, that is the difference.
April 8, 2009 1:28:06 PM

I don't see a bios update for your problem at
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Ov...

so you'd be better not updating your bios for now or contact gigabyte's tech support, maybe they can tell you if a new bios will fix the problem.

as mentioned before you can get a new heatsink and be sure is placed correctly, a good aftermarket heatsink is always better then your stock one.

In regards of your 295, those temps are ok, Graphic cards run always hotter than your cpu, now in your 295 you could have 80degrees underload and it's nothing to alarm, it's hot but it's designed to handle way more than that. The key to keep it cool is proper case ventilation.
April 8, 2009 3:02:35 PM

Cool, i appreciate all the info guys :)  im just not 100% sure which after market heatsink im going to go, im leanin towards that hammer one just because i want some heavy duty cooling goin on.

And then i think ill look into doin some OCing.
April 8, 2009 3:48:57 PM

Savatage do you mean the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer? If so it is a good heatsink, but is a bit expensive. While I believe if you have the money then you should get it, if you do not or just want something that is in that class the Xigmatek Dark Knight is also one of the highest performing heatsinks and about 2/3s the price.
April 8, 2009 6:57:07 PM

Thanks for the input man, ill take a look at that one :) 

My reasoning is kind of like since i already spent an assload of cash on this pc , i may as well not stop there with cooling lol but yea i blew quite the wad on this machine, so maybe i will go with that dark knight...gonna check it out now!
!