Ageia Physx Standalone Card Still Good?

scsidude2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I recently bought a Radeon 4870 which i love and is a great card. However as you all know it does not support Physx like Nvidia does because of Nvidia's acquisition of Ageia. Anyway, i was thinking of picking a standalone Physx card if i could find one for cheap on Ebay but didnt know if they are still supported, they have been out for a couple years. So does anyone know if the old Physx cards can still keep up and if they still work? Thanks!

The physics card would probably work but if you're running a 64bit opsys it won't. I tried. The physics card is only 32bit compatible from what I've gathered because I tried it on xp64 and vista64. ( I tried the bfg physics driver and nvidias physics drivers...no soap ) I have 32bit stuff to put together but don't feel like wasting my time with it.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Most ppl that want physx just have 2 nvidia card 1 gaming card and some basic card sometimes their old card or just a cheap on they thru in that can run phyx.

I wouldn't waste money on that old physx card just for a little better visual effects.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
there's really no point in physx right now. don't invest in any related hardware until a standard API is agreed on. anything else is just a waste.

These guys are right as far as the physics card goes but I wouldn't count out physics in games. I turn physics on for gaming.

Having said that, just for kicks, I have an xfire board that I was running a GTX260 on. I took an old GTS8800 640 card and used it as a physics card and it worked fine on 64bit Vista.