sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
So I overcame one of the problems mentioned in this thread (I think). That being the extra Windows 7 installation.

But now, the intel SSD toolbox still won't work, and I have another problem. I used a program called bst5.exe to assess read & write performance. I'm getting close to 79 MB/sec max write performance, which is good, that exceeds their spec. But for read I'm only getting 112 MB/sec!! This is less than half of the rated read rate. Any ideas what the problem could be? My system again:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Pro
Processor: Intel i5-750
RAM: Corsair XMS3-1600, 8GB
GPU: eVGA GTX260
OS Drive: Intel SSDSA2M080G2GN
Data Drive: Samsung HD103SJ

Could it be something wrong with the motherboard? Just a bad SSD? Sort of at a loss here. I'm certainly disappointed, I mean this is not what I was hoping for when I bought this thing.

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I should add one more thing - the reason I thought there was a problem is that my Windows Experience Rating for "Storage" was only a 6.7 - This seems awfully low compared to ratings I've seen others reporting. BIOS is set to AHCI.

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Sorry for the triple post but I figured out the problem... I had the SSD running on the black JMicron JMB363 port. I switched it to SATA5, disabled the JMicron port in the BIOS and rebooted twice. Not only does it work but it also sped my boot up considerably. What is the advantage of this port anyway? Is there a way to get the SSD running in true AHCI mode on the JMicron port? The Intel SSD toolbox works now too. I figure I'll just leave it this way since it's doing everything I want.

This is also good to know for those with this SATA controller.

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure the JMicron controller also controls any PATA devices. Since I'm not using those either, no harm in disabling it.

I did have one boot failure today, but it's due to my motherboard and my data drive (Samsung HD103SJ ) not getting along. Booting without that drive hooked up works fine, and moving it to another port seemed to fix the problem. I think I might try MSI or eVGA for a motherboard next time...

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

It's funny you mention this, because back when I had PATA Optical drives they worked HORRIBLY... I'd put a disk into one of them and it would just sit there... FOREVER! Half the time it never even read the disk. I have no idea if it was the drive or the controller, but that issued prompted me to get SATA optical drives (Lite-On, one Combo burner and one DVD ROM). It's astounding how much better they work than PATA.

I have had the same problem with my Sony DVD drive I had in the PC, now in another one.

When I load my Asus drivers disk into it, nothing....even after I just install an OS. I thought it was the drive, could have been the controller, which I was trying to load drivers for...Finally went the route of donwloading all updated drivers, and installing them from a seperate data drive (i.e Downloads).

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

My screwy disk drive was also a Sony. Maybe Sony Multi-burner drives just aren't very good? :lol: