32Gb ssd boot drive full - now what ?

sprocket

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I have just received a new computer from CyberpowerPC . When I got it , I installed Mcafee, did some win 7 updates, and installed the latest graphics drivers. Now the 32Gb ssd (c) drive is full. These apps and upgrades didn't ask for an install location, but automatically installed on the c drive. I am not familiar with this type of setup, but it seems funny to have a system drive of only 32Gb. Meanwhile I have a 1.5 Tb D drive sitting there empty. What I'd like to do is image the C drive over to the D drive and boot up on it. I don't know if this is possible.

So my problem is , how do I move win7 from the ssd drive to a partition on my other 1.5Tb drive and boot from it.
Of course , I didn't get a win7 disk , just an activation code, so a clean re-install would mean me buying a new copy of win7. I did read where imaging from ssd to hd is not possible due to fat irregularities. I hope I don't have to buy a full copy of win7.... CyberpowerPC has yet to reply , although is it the weekend.

Any ideas what I should do ?

Solution
Concur with MRFS, Should be able to image ssd _> HDD. Most HDD manuf have a free program for this ( I believe WD uses Acroics true image). Also you can use the built in Windows 7 backup image and restore to your HDD, just a little more convoluted.

However; before doing this, I would look into what is using all that space. Although I do not recommend small SSDs for this reason as they have limited number of programs that can be installed BUT should be OK as a Boot drive.

I have an 80 gig SSD and I just checked - I'm only using 25/26 Gigs. It is windows 7 and I have about 20 programs installed ( not counting microsoft win 7 included programs). Most of mine are small programs, but does include Microsoft office...

Runil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Your 'out of space' problem is more complicated but I'd like to respond to your Win7 issue. If you have an activation code, shouldn't you be able to apply it to any copy of Win7 regardless of source? You should be able to download Win7 from the Microsoft website to your hd (or an .iso image to make an install dvd). Then just put in your activation code when prompted to do so during the install.

I'm trying to think of a way to keep MS updates from filling up your ssd. The core of the issue is to keep files which do not change (much) on your ssd and put files which change often on a regular hd. This is because of the limited number of 'rewrites before failure' of ssd's. I would turn off automatic updates on Win7 and look for a way to manually download updates to a folder under your control. And after applying any updates use what ever cleanup tools are available to delete old registry and Win file backups.

Also, from what little I understand about ssd's, it would seem the Windows page-file (virtual memory allocated as unmovable) does not belong on an ssd because it is constantly being re-written. I do not have an ssd yet so I cannot give instructions on this, but put the question out on how one would go about forcing windows to accept a swap file located on a separate drive from the rest of the OS installation, if possible. I would be interested myself in learning how to do this for when I get an ssd.

Considering the size of Win7, I would not install any other apps on the 32gig hd. I did this myself when partitioning a 500gig hd. I made one partition for Win7, one for apps, and my data is spread across the remaining space and on other drives as well. The main point is that with only 32gig to work with you need all the space you have for maintaining your OS.

I used Win7 all through the evaluation period with heavy reliance on the Media Center and a dual-tuner HD video card. I was very pleased with the experience. I am currently taking a break from Win7 and using Ubuntu, otherwise I would be able to research more into the Windows solutions I proposed.

Good luck

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> So my problem is , how do I move win7 from the ssd drive
> to a partition on my other 1.5Tb drive and boot from it.

Assuming you have formatted your 1.5TB as a single letter drive,
this sequence should work:

(1) download and install PartitionWizard freeware:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/ (really excellent software!)

(2) move the starting point of that single partition
by an amount equal to or greater than the size
of the C: partition on you SSD;

(3) create a new primary partition on your 1.5TB
using the space you just created for it,
i.e. in front of the data partition you just "shrunk";

(4) write a drive image of the SSD's C: partition
to secondary partition on your 1.5TB;

(5) restore your drive image to the new primary partition
on your 1.5TB.

Alternatively, you should be able to free up some space
on your SSD by deleting unneeded files.

e.g. in "My Computer" right-click on C:, Properties, Disk Cleanup.

You can also move the swap file pagefile.sys to your 1.5TB,
and disable the Indexing Service on your SSD's C: partition.

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
p.s. Where did you read this, please?

> I did read where imaging from ssd to hd is not possible due to fat irregularities.

First of all, your SSD is most probably formatted as NTFS, not FAT.

Secondly, I regard what you read as highly suspicious.

MRFS

Concur with MRFS, Should be able to image ssd _> HDD. Most HDD manuf have a free program for this ( I believe WD uses Acroics true image). Also you can use the built in Windows 7 backup image and restore to your HDD, just a little more convoluted.

However; before doing this, I would look into what is using all that space. Although I do not recommend small SSDs for this reason as they have limited number of programs that can be installed BUT should be OK as a Boot drive.

I have an 80 gig SSD and I just checked - I'm only using 25/26 Gigs. It is windows 7 and I have about 20 programs installed ( not counting microsoft win 7 included programs). Most of mine are small programs, but does include Microsoft office, Photosuite, Cyberlink blu-ray program, Paperport12, uSoft security suite, ect.

(1) Move your Memory swap file to HDD. (2) Disable Hibernation and disk indexing. Then run microsofts disk clean-up. This alone should free up almost 10 gigs of space.

Personally, I ditched mcafee and am using Microsofts Free security Essentials ( there are other free programs (ie AVG) that are just as good but take up less space.

Added:
Important - After doing what i recommended in (1) and (2), Using win 7 back up. (1) create a restore boot disk, (2) create an Image file to DVDs (can also place the Image file on HDD). I would do both, to DVD and the HDD. I would also (1) back up all your user data, (2) partition your HDD into (a) a 100 -> 200 gig partition ( use this partition for your swap file and programs that you redirect installation to). (b) a second partition for all your data files and (c) a 3rd partition as backup (you could place that image file here.

2nd added
For Hibernation, please read:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-delete-hibernation-file-hiberfil-sys/

Solution

sprocket

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I have to thank you all for the responses . All other forums that I joined don't seem to be as helpful. Wow, thanks again !

I have not done much to my system as yet; been away for a bit. Prior to the last two replies, I tried to move the 'user' file over to 'd' drive. Not good - win7 defaults to hide systems files. I opened these files to view after a long session; win xp I was used to, win7 NOT. Some files that were moved had desktop config files and user config setup. Bootup was a mess. Back to normal now. I also partitioned my 1.5Tb drive into 3 partitions for future use. I don't know what happened , but now I have 8Gb free on the ssd; maybe some temp files deleted ?

Question:
The memory swap file - what and where is the file name. Will win7 accept this move to the D hdd drive?

I will check out MS security apps; getting rid of mcafee would certainly free up space.
Thanks , I will dig into it tomorrow.

Control panel
Select System Security, then System
On left side select advanced system settings
New window - Select performance tab at top, then select Settings under performance.
Next window, at top select advaced tab at top
Select change virtual memorry

Uncheck the box " Automanage"

This should high lite drives that you can place virual memory.
Select drive D (Any HDD shown, other than C)
Select option to specify size, My recommendation, set min and max to same value ie 6136
After "D" is set, then select C and check box for "No page file"

PS ignore windows warnings as long as you set some virual memory to any drive.

For a little more on virtual memory:
http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid99_gci1366682,00.html

Don't forget to disable hibernation, that is about a 3 to 6 gig Hidden file. Follow link I provided in above post.
Hibernation is for "Fast load into windows", however with a SSD, from power off to loading first program should only be about a minuite.

Move the "My Documents" and other "Libraries" from the "User" folder on C: to a partition on the HDD.

You can just drag and drop them. The registry seems to take the moves, and points to these libraries when you "save" stuff. (BTW: the "Libraries" are the My Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, and Music folders.)

Now you'll have a data/media drive (or partition)!

If you want to move everything to the larger hard drive, download the free trial of acronis true image. You can then clone your SSD to a different drive.

For what it is worth, I recently installed windows 7 home premium an a intel x25-v 40gb ssd. After all updates and installing the free microsoft security essentials, it took about 15gb. I made no effort to free up space. Look at your installed programs for things to remove. OEM vendors often install free trials to get more revenue.

If you ever need to reinstall windows-7 borrow a 32 or 64 bit dvd and use your own product code.
However the windows 7 dvd has bootable capabilities to restore your system from windows backup. You should be able to get a copy from cyberpower. If you can't pursue getting one from microsoft. Here is a link to get you started:
https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/Validation.aspx?StoreID=b19f4ce9-dfcb-44e4-9abe-1c9dfbad47d0&LocaleCode=en-us&JavaScriptOn=yes

sprocket

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I think I'm good now as far as the ssd capacity. I followed some of your ideas and Moved the pagefile to the d drive and custom sized it, moved my documents to d, disabled hibernation, did a cleanup. Now I have 53% ssd AVAILABLE !

I attempted to use win7 backup but it always went to the d drive where the page file is. c drive isn't even an option to choose from. I think it is looking for the pagefile and and assumes that win7 is installed there. I would have to move the pagefile back to c temporarily to do the backup. Now that I have plenty of space on the ssd, I will decide the best way to image and/or move win7 to a larger partition.

I went to microsoft , thinking I would download win7 64bit full using my product code, but you have to pay first to download. I didn't see where it would allow me to enter the product code and then let me download. If I could do this; this would be a great help.

I would still feel better about it if I had win7 on a larger partition so I would never have to worry about filling up. Some installations simply want to go to C program files and dump all kinds of dll's, register entries, etc. I figure that I have two choice to image and move win7. That is win7 backup or acronis.