Sign in with
Your question

Need help!! to chose the right parts

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2009 1:36:17 PM

Hey im rebuilding my amd to a sli Intel!
WOOHOO :bounce:  :bounce: 

I have a powersuply (500w) and a hdd and all that base nonsense.
I also have a 8800gt oc witch i would like to keep.
Ram wont be a problem im buying 2x 2gb ddr2 800 (for dual chan.).

SO HERE COMES MY QUESTION!

Witch cpu and mobo are worth getting?
I dont mind an atx or matx. But i would like a sli mobo if at all possible in my price range.
I would like to spend under 250 dolla! :D 
Im not going to oc so that wil not matter to me.
The Sli fact is not for now its for later upgrading.

PLease help me as i wil be selling my current system very soon.

More about : chose parts

January 9, 2009 4:15:44 PM

I would agree with IH8U on teh 750i board if you HAVE to have SLI. Otherwise I would get a P45 board.

Are you hell bent on SLI? or just want it as a option? I have never had a use for SLI as I usually sell my current card and get a good single card. But that is just me. Although Crossfire is looking good these days and now the i7's are out and the x58 chipset which offers both SLI and Crossfire on the same board. You should see good improvements on multi GPU setups coming in the next year that don't cost a ton.
Related resources
January 10, 2009 5:41:31 AM

Get the P45 board and just upgrade the gpu to a new one later on. Taking an old gpu and sli'ing it with another old gpu is probably not your best option.

P45 mobo - $100-$120
CPU - $120 for an E7300

BTW, with the P45 if you decide to OC all you have to do is push the "delete" key during post, go into bios, scroll down to "motherboard intelligent tweaker" and select "turbo". (instructions to the left are for a gigabyte mobo, asus is just as easy)Everything else stays on auto and with the E7300 you now have a 3.2ghz cpu. If bios is too intimidating then you can OC from windows with easy tune 6 (gigabyte) by selecting Turbo and pressing "save".
January 10, 2009 6:34:13 AM

BTW, I don't think there are mATX boards with SLI options. The best card you can put on them is a dual-slot single card like the GTX 280 (though you will have to move some parts around-probably the hard drive to another bay...you will lose a hard drive bay or two also so that you only have 2 available to use at maximum).
January 10, 2009 7:21:01 AM

+1 for P45+e7300.

if you are dedicated to SLI, i recommend the evga 750i FTW. don't get a bloody e5300... seriously 13x multi is overkill. 12.5x multi on the e5200 not good enough for you? sigh..
January 10, 2009 9:05:49 PM

THANX ALL OF YOU SO VERY MUCH! this has been a great help i love th!!
I ran a bit low on funds :(  ! hey im stil in school! ok!
So i decided stuff SLI. Im getting a MSI Intel p45 Neo-F with the e5200 (im sorry, haha but stop me now if thats bad, im very exited) then im getting 2 2gig (ddrII6400) 800Mhz ram for duel channel.

But i have another question!

Ddr3 says its 240 pin do i have to get a mobo suitable for that or could i put ddr3 into this system?
January 10, 2009 11:59:40 PM

afzalgamer said:
THANX ALL OF YOU SO VERY MUCH! this has been a great help i love th!!
I ran a bit low on funds :(  ! hey im stil in school! ok!
So i decided stuff SLI. Im getting a MSI Intel p45 Neo-F with the e5200 (im sorry, haha but stop me now if thats bad, im very exited) then im getting 2 2gig (ddrII6400) 800Mhz ram for duel channel.

But i have another question!

Ddr3 says its 240 pin do i have to get a mobo suitable for that or could i put ddr3 into this system?

That motherboard wont do SLI, and dont even think about touching a product from MSI - absolute rubbish, all there products.

SLI aint worth it especially if your on a budget - 100% more $$$ on a video card, and more on the motherboard = ~30% gains on half the games, or nothing at low res, and the risk of low end cpus choking the video cards - bugger that.

Get an E5200 (and overclock it!), Gigabyte P45 series motherboard, that 2gb ram and overclock the cpu and use your video card - cheap and quick upgrade!

BTW theres a massive difference between a "500w PSU" and a BRANDED 500W PSU - one wont even get near 300w stable, the other will most likely pull over 500w.
January 11, 2009 5:21:22 AM

DDR2 and DDR3 sticks are not the same and typically take different mother boards. There are a couple of mother boards available that can do either/or but that would be a minimum $200 purchase.
!