Sign in with
Your question

XFX nForce 780i SLI - Want to use PCI-Ex16 slot 2 and not 1

Last response: in Motherboards
May 29, 2009 8:26:21 PM

Hi, the sound on my onboard soundcard on my xfx MB are having eletrical interference and i couldnt fix it, so i bought a soundcard to take care of that problem. However the new soundcard needed to use the PCI-Ex1 slot who are directly under the top PCI-Ex16 slot, since my graphicscard uses 2 slots i needed to move it to the second PCI-Ex16 sot so that the soundcard could be used in the PCI-Ex1 slot.

When booting on computer after doing this this message comes up in the postboot screen:

"A single graphics card is detected in slot PCI-Ex16_2 or PCI-Ex16_3
Please move the graphics card to PCI-Ex16_1 slot for non SLI operation"

I have used the secondary slot on SLI MBs before so this is really surprising, however i need to be able to use the second slot for if not i will have to continue to listen to the crappy sound cuz of the electrical interference (which i have previous tried to gt support for at various forums with no luck)

So how do i enable the use of the second PCI-Ex16 sot when i dont have any SLI setup only one single graphics card?

MB: XFX nForce 780i SLI
June 1, 2009 4:19:07 AM

You can try using a PCIe riser, so that you can connect your sound card and not interfere with the space needed for your dual-setup. It basically plugs into your PCIe slot in one end, and into your sound card on the other.
m
l
June 1, 2009 11:33:29 AM

Lavarin said:
You can try using a PCIe riser, so that you can connect your sound card and not interfere with the space needed for your dual-setup. It basically plugs into your PCIe slot in one end, and into your sound card on the other.

Got any examples for this, i have tried to search the net some.. and searched norwegian webshots with no luck, i did find 1 pci-e x1 riser cable male-female on a english webshop, but i was thinking it was wierd for only 1 type to exist (one that is cable and not a angled card that is)
m
l
!