Advice on Thermaltake 250w VGA supply please

python00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I have a new thermaltake w0099ru PSU, it goes in a 5.25 drive bay and gives 250w to graphics card. It piggybacks the 24 pin mobo connector from the main 480w psu I have.

I need some advice from people who have owned this power supply, because the LEDs on the front both blink really quickly when I turn it on and the graphics card wont output a video signal.

I thought my GFX card was dead so I got a refund.. tomorrow i get a new one but am worried about this power supply.

I read in the manual that to test the PSU, use a paper clip between the green and black wires... well my PSU turns on WITHOUT doing this!!

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Buy a real PSU? Those things are nothing but a crutch honestly. You could have changed the entire PSU for just a few dollars more than you paid for the drive bay POS.

Honestly, send it back, get a refund, buy a decent 750 watt PSU. I lean heavily on Corsair and PC Power and Cooling as I prefer a single 12v rail, but Enermax, Antec, and others are decent.

python00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
well, it gives all the recommended amps and watts for the card..

I need to mention that when the card was connected, i got flashing leds, otherwise I get a solid red power light without anything connected on the 12v rail.

Why doesn't it need a paper clip (as advised in the manual) to produce a red power light and spinning fan? Is this a faulty switching curcuit?

Any other advice please?