Sign in with
Your question

Black screen with cursor lenovo after windows update

Last response: in Windows XP
June 16, 2011 6:39:59 PM

Hello,

My Lenovo s12 shows a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top. This happened after a windows update. It appears to start the windows start up then jumps to this black screen with a flashing white cursor. F8 key not working only the F11, F10 keys. I have removed the battery and tried holding the power button for 1 min, but same old thing. I am trying to figure where the problem is before bring it in to be fixed.
June 16, 2011 7:40:56 PM

Try again to use F8 to get to the boot menu. I know it can be hard to get the timing right, but if you can get to the boot menu you might be able to use safe mode to go back to your last restore point and then install the updates one at a time to see which one causes the problem.
m
l
June 23, 2011 12:38:22 PM

The F8 key is not working at all the only F key that works is the F11 key.
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 1:38:29 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
Try again to use F8 to get to the boot menu. I know it can be hard to get the timing right, but if you can get to the boot menu you might be able to use safe mode to go back to your last restore point and then install the updates one at a time to see which one causes the problem.

The F8 key is not working the screen stays the same, black with a blinking white line at the top. F commands are either not working or whatever is happening will not let me use them. The only F key I can access is the F11 command. When you start the computer it appears that Windows is trying to load then it goes to a black screen with a blinking white line.
m
l
July 4, 2011 1:43:45 AM

I can not use F8 safe mode is not accessible. I stated that before. I am familiar with the F commands and generaly can fix my computer. This is something beyond regular problems, a pro is needed. I am buying a new computer.
m
l
!