Sign in with
Your question

Ssd installation

Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2010 9:42:21 PM

Hi all, I`m installing an Intel ssd (80g). Do i have to make changes in the bios to ACHI. ? Or leave it alone. Thanks for any replies.

More about : ssd installation

a c 98 G Storage
July 14, 2010 2:51:36 AM

If you have an Intel based mobo (X58 or P55), then yes on ACHI to get the most out of the SSD.

How'd it go, noticed this post is 3 days old. Did it go okay?

But, you have to do it before installing the OS. Actually, there is a registry tweak, but I don't know what it is. If you change the SATA setting to ACHI from IDE after OS install, you have to re-install the OS.
July 14, 2010 3:32:29 PM

foscooter said:
If you have an Intel based mobo (X58 or P55), then yes on ACHI to get the most out of the SSD.

How'd it go, noticed this post is 3 days old. Did it go okay?

But, you have to do it before installing the OS. Actually, there is a registry tweak, but I don't know what it is. If you change the SATA setting to ACHI from IDE after OS install, you have to re-install the OS.

Thanks very much for your reply. I have an amd cpu/ Gigabyte board. I was experiencing slow boot times even after I went to (msconfig) start menu and "deselected" all but three programs.
Six weeks ago I installed an intel 25-m 80g ssd and it`s booting much slower now. I dont have a lot of crap on it and it made me curious as to why this is happening.. Sorry to bore you with all that lol. Thanks again for your help
a c 98 G Storage
July 14, 2010 11:35:28 PM

Chances are that since you have an AMD CPU, the chipset is NVidia, which doesn't support ACHI.

That's ok, and I think TRIM is still supported, as it is part of WIndows 7. Here is a link to check if TRIM is running: SSD Support....

Download the "Intel Toolbox Utility" and run it. This should "clean up" the SSD.

Hese is a good read: The SSD Review

Myself, I didn't do any of these tweaks, except moving my pagefile to a HDD. But I have 6GB of RAM, so I never use it.

You're not the first to say that your Intel SSD is running slow on a AMD platform. Maybe something is there...
!