USA to Europe Power Conversion

an3mia

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I have a Sunbeam Hush 580W power supply and was wondering if I buy a converter will it work in Europe? It has the red button to shift to HZ, but I don't wanna blow it up.

I took a look at photos to make sure the red button on the back is a voltage selector switch for 120 and 220 volts. No problem there. All you need is an appropriate plug adapter (converter) for the country or countries you are going to visit.

I spent 15 years with the United States Armed Forces in Europe and never had a problem with computer equipment I ordered from the United States. However, I am growing old disgracefully and I forget things. I can't remember what I did for the monitor and printer. I was stationed in Germany and probably used a 120 to 220 volt step-up transformer.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
There should be no issues with just using the selector switch, however you may need to get a 220v plug/adaptor. Presently in Germany myself (look for a 2 prong cord, or adaptor). Just avoid Silverstone PSU's they say active PFC, but really they aren't.

for 220v PSU cords: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Cord-European-220V-Black/dp/B000V6WC72/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1239171045&sr=8-3
$5

Adaptor: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Plug-Adapter-Europe-Travel/dp/B000EE44UE/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239171097&sr=8-16
$2

Yes, it will work just fine.
Just make sure to flip the red switch to 220w before plugging it in.

A trick I learned when I moved to Germany...
Bring a US plugged power strip or two with you.
When you get to Europe, you can get a standard US => EU plug adaptor for about 2€.
As most electronics (everything, including the monitor, I brought with me anyways...) can auto switch to 220v, you can continue using your current devices/plugs with no change.
Just make sure and check the labes before plugging anything in to be 100% sure.

Also, be sure and disassemble and properly pack your PC components before the flight.
Those damn throwers are quite rough with the baggage, even when marked fragile :fou:

Best luck with the move!

AFAIK, you can't even buy a PSU in [much of] Europe without full-range active PFC any more. If you have a quality PSU, it will have that feature, and be usable with just a plug adapter. There will be no little red switch to change.

+1 jsc

For everything else, I would recommend anti-static bags and tons of bubble wrap.
Pack your clothes as tightly around the bubble wrapped components to give them some extra cushion.

an3mia

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to take care of it when I ship it. Hopefully, when i switch the red button on back and get the adapter it will be good to go.

Geek1945

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
BTW you'll get an efficiency boost on 220 vs 120 which results in less heat in the power supply. Also size smaller cord could be used, but stick with the 120v one if you can. The European system does not use a earth ground plane [green wire] if you decide to replug your US power code.

Most US AC outlets are rated at 15 amps/1800 watts and if P/S wattage continue to raise converting PC circuits to 220v could be a possibility.