Sign in with
Your question

Blank Screen after boot up?

Last response: in Windows XP
June 17, 2011 1:23:31 AM

Alright guys, I need some help. I've been moving some furniture for my girlfriend's grandmother for the past week, and today I moved her office space for her. Before I moved the system to the new space, everything was running fine. I've used the computer before. So, I moved everything, hooked it all up, but when I powered on the computer, the monitor light will turn from orange to green and then within seconds turn right back to orange. All the while, no image will show up on the screen. Nothing, zilch, na-da. Complete black. All of the fans in the computer are running, the keyboard, mouse, everything else is working like normal, but the monitor will not display any image. There is no beeping when I turn the system on either. I tried rapidly tapping F8 and the computer then beeped 4 times. I don't know what any of these beeps mean, but it only happened after I pressed F8. Still no picture though. I don't know what could have happened just from moving the computer. Everything is connected properly, so I'm thinking at this point that it must be something within the tower. I haven't tried much, and won't be able to until I get a chance to go back over there, but any suggestions will help me. Normally I wouldn't care so much if it were my own machine, but knowing I'm doing this for her grandmother makes me really want to get it fixed.

Hope to get some replies soon. Thanks guys!

More about : blank screen boot

June 17, 2011 1:48:11 AM

do you remember if the computer has a onboard video card or a separate video card?

sometime during moving cards and memory can slightly move causing your symptoms.

if it has a separate video card, reseated it by taking it out and then putting it back in.

you might want to do that also with other cards and memory if the video card did not do it by itself.
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:56:10 AM

Emerald said:
do you remember if the computer has a onboard video card or a separate video card?

sometime during moving cards and memory can slightly move causing your symptoms.

if it has a separate video card, reseated it by taking it out and then putting it back in.

you might want to do that also with other cards and memory if the video card did not do it by itself.

There's no separate video card. It's an older Dell model, and I don't believe she's done much to take care of it really. The monitor is hooked in the upper slot for the onboard graphics.

Here's something I just now thought about. Right before we moved it, I shut down the system, and it said that it was installing 12 updates, which leads me to believe she very rarely shut down the system. When it was at 2/12 updates installed, my girlfriend pulled the plug for the surge protector while trying to unplug a lamp. Could turning off the system during an update cause this to happen?
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2011 4:19:15 AM

maybe
m
l
June 17, 2011 3:05:01 PM

Emerald said:
maybe

Alright, I'll give everything a nice cleaning and make sure everything is seated correctly, and hopefully that will do the trick.
m
l
!