What's an SM bus controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

ram1009

Distinguished
I just allowed a Microsoft update to my XP Pro sp3 installation. Upon reboot the new hardware wizard wanted to install a new device called an SM bus controller but the software could not be found. What do I do now?

All drivers for that board are HERE

You may have these on a CD supplied with the board.
The SMBus drivers may not be automatically installed. You should look at the extracted files for that driver.
That driver is usually part of the chipset drivers.

If you can't find the SMBus drivers, I'll download the above drivers, extract them without running the exe and see where they are for you.

I downloaded the chipset driver from Asus and unzipped the downloaded file. The SMBus controller is located in the following folder:

Chipset/XP/SMBUS

You need to go to device manager, right-click the SMBus (may show "unknown Device") and select "reinstall driver". Browse to the above folder and the inf file should be discovered automatically. Click install or OK as the case may be and the driver will be installed.

ram1009

Distinguished

I found the driver on the MB install disk. The install seemed to go OK. The question now is how/why did it get uninstalled. I know I installed it when I built the computer. Thanks for your help.

AMD, for all the work they put into their products, trying to stay alive... neglects the simplest of things that make people say they'll never buy AMD again. The SMBus driver is an example. I've never actually seen an AMD chipset driver installer install that one driver. It's always up to the frustrated owner to figure out what's wrong with their computer and then what to do about it. The driver may be there in plain sight, but the novice user that is about to build their first system hasn't a clue that the thing exist. They clicked the button to install drivers and then they all didn't get installed. The SMBus didn't used to be such a problem, it was rare, but these newer boards all have it but the supplied CD/DVD that is shipped with these boards won't automatically install the thing.

Why did yours get uninstalled? Tough question, almost as tough as 'Will AMD ever learn, before it is too late'?

ram1009

Distinguished

I've built many AMD computers over the years and don't remember ever hearing of an SM BUS or needing to install it manually. I agree that AMD is in survival mode. Personally, I like their CPUs but don't use their GPUs because of buggy drivers. I did recently try to setup a RAID using the driver on their CD and was unable to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.