Sign in with
Your question

Xfx radeon hd 4850 and dvi to hdmi question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2009 3:06:20 PM

i just put together a new rig last night and i chose the xfx 4850 for the gpu and i was wondering something. my other gaming pc which has dual gtx 260 uses dvi to hdmi for my hdtv and to get sound i had to connect a sp/dif cable to the mobo and gpu, do i have to do that with the 4850 to get sound to the tv? i didnt see any sp/dif connector on the card. i think read somewhere i while ago the ati cards automatically do sound without any extra work meaning not extra cables or anything so if someone could confirm that i dont need to do anything else and that i just hook up the dvi to hdmi and have sound that would be great and thanks in advance.
February 6, 2009 4:29:03 PM

Go to speaker settings and change the audio device to ATi HDMI Audio.

February 6, 2009 4:33:13 PM

ok well mine says not plugged in. so do i need to download something or do i have to have a s/pdif cable?
Related resources
February 6, 2009 4:47:18 PM

well i dont use a reciever, i have a evga dvi to hdmi adapter. so i need a different adapter? last week i had the dvi to hdmi adapter on my other pc which has dual gtx 260 and i had sound but nvidia cards require the s/pdif cable. do ati cards need that too and would that adapter work with the 4850? or do i need to buy a special dvi to hdmi adapter?
February 6, 2009 4:57:32 PM

those links work but then it says error 403 or something like that?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2009 3:13:34 PM

I'm having the exact same problem.. I got my HDMI Cable today and the DVI to HDMI converter.. I get Video.. but no Audio.. I installed the latest Catalyst Drivers along with the ATI HDMI Realtek Audio Driver on Windows Vista 64bit.. and it says its not plugged in..

Whats the deal?
March 6, 2009 1:53:06 AM

Have you tried another DVI port?
I'm using MSI HD4850.. and i've no problem in getting sound via HDMI..
I connect the HDMI cable directly to HDMI port in T.V. Sound output through T.V speakers..
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2009 3:12:52 AM

heya.. thanks.. i've tried that.. and I've called into ATI Tech Support and they have escalated the problem up to the engineers.. It seems that some receivers don't send a signal through the hdmi port recognizing itself as a HDMI Device rather than a DVI device.. Its a driver related issue they say.. they asked me to submit a belarc report so they can fix the problem..

I'll see what happens in their next update..
!