TS2 - Young Adults

I don't suppose anyone will know the answer to this but it's worth a try.

When you install University, what will it do to the aging of teens that are
almost adults or adults that just aged? Will it shorten both life phases
and add a phase between the two? If so will my teens that are almost adults
suddenly be young adults and my newly aged adults become young adults when I
install university?
14 answers Last reply
More about young adults

    "Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
    >I don't suppose anyone will know the answer to this but it's worth a try.
    >
    > When you install University, what will it do to the aging of teens that
    > are almost adults or adults that just aged? Will it shorten both life
    > phases and add a phase between the two? If so will my teens that are
    > almost adults suddenly be young adults and my newly aged adults become
    > young adults when I install university?

    It adds a stage for those that go to university. Otherwise you just age the
    same way the Sims do now.

    Gareeth

    Gareeth wrote:
    > It adds a stage for those that go to university. Otherwise you just
    > age the same way the Sims do now.

    I know that, but how does it add it? Are Sims lives the same length as they
    are now + young adult, or are they the same length, with their teenage and
    adulthood shortened with young adult hood put in between? If the latter,
    what happens to a teen who is one day from adult hood when you install
    university? Are they just suddenly a young adult next time you play? If
    not, is their young adulthood shortened to make up for their long teenage?
    Etc.

    > Gareeth wrote:
    >> It adds a stage for those that go to university. Otherwise you just
    >> age the same way the Sims do now.
    >

    > I know that, but how does it add it? Are Sims lives the same length as
    > they are now + young adult, or are they the same length, with their
    > teenage and adulthood shortened with young adult hood put in between?

    The exisiting phases are not shortened. There was a chat on the subject. You
    can find the transcript on the BBS.

    Gareeth

    "Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
    > I don't suppose anyone will know the answer to this but it's worth a try.
    >
    > When you install University, what will it do to the aging of teens that
    are
    > almost adults or adults that just aged? Will it shorten both life phases
    > and add a phase between the two? If so will my teens that are almost
    adults
    > suddenly be young adults and my newly aged adults become young adults when
    > install university?

    The young adult stage only exists when Sims are at college. That is, when
    you send a teen off to college, they become a young adult there. When they
    leave college, they automatically jump to adult. If they don't go to
    college, they don't become young adults at all.

    The first one I think - it just adds extra sim days for those sims that go
    to university. It won't affect your sims who don't go or change the age of
    any pre-existing sims - it's just an extra age stage which has to be lived
    out in a different neighbourhood (the sim college). The young adult stage
    won't be available in the regular neighbourhoods. I'm still hoping for a
    middle age stage.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:
    > The first one I think - it just adds extra sim days for those sims
    > that go to university. It won't affect your sims who don't go or
    > change the age of any pre-existing sims - it's just an extra age
    > stage which has to be lived out in a different neighbourhood (the sim
    > college). The young adult stage won't be available in the regular
    > neighbourhoods. I'm still hoping for a middle age stage.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    Well, poop. I was hoping it would add another age to everybody in the game.
    I seriously doubt if I would ever play the dorm life option to that game.
    The only reason I'd even consider buying it would be to add to the life span
    of all the sims (apparently not an option after all) and to add objects and
    animations and such. That's the only reason I bought Expansion Packs to the
    original game, too, though I did really like Unleashed for the bigger
    neighborhood and the pets.

    Jeanie

    Yeah the subject of the new EP seems to have split opinion doesn't it? I
    like the sound of it but then I went to university (in fact I'm still there
    as a grad student) and enjoyed it but a lot of people seemed turned off by
    the idea. Mind you I'm not too keen on the dorm idea either - or the Greek
    houses - but then I'm a European and went to university as a mature student
    so didn't personally experience either. I bet most Maxis employees are
    college graduates though and that's why they thought of it as an idea for an
    EP. However, all the objects that come with the new expansion will be
    available in the ordinary neighbourhood lots too including the gym equipment
    and the coffee house stuff - both of which I really (really) want in my
    community lots.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:
    > Yeah the subject of the new EP seems to have split opinion doesn't
    > it? I like the sound of it but then I went to university (in fact
    > I'm still there as a grad student) and enjoyed it but a lot of people
    > seemed turned off by the idea. Mind you I'm not too keen on the dorm
    > idea either - or the Greek houses - but then I'm a European and went
    > to university as a mature student so didn't personally experience
    > either. I bet most Maxis employees are college graduates though and
    > that's why they thought of it as an idea for an EP.

    Well, I think this whole game is really aimed at folks in the 18-25 year old
    age group. So the idea of University shouldn't be surprising. Look at all
    the aspects of the game as it is and it's obvious it was made BY young
    people FOR young people. No middle aged life span, not being able to make
    adult children in CAS for adult parents, having only dingy looking gray hair
    for elders, having no realistic looking body meshes, etc. I'm almost 50 yet
    in the game I can make the "Jeanie" sim either sleek, young and smashing
    looking, or worn out, sagging and drab. :-( There's days I feel like the
    latter, but not typically. And I haven't looked like the young smashing one
    in a while now. <g>

    I'd really like to see some realism put into this game, like the possibility
    of having wheelchairs, more hair styles (honestly, no one I know wears their
    hair anything like the available styles), elevators, handicapped ramps (for
    community lots) and that sort of thing. I'd also like to see some
    completely different trees and larger shrubs. I am getting pretty tired of
    birches, bays and willows. LOL

    Jeanie
    However, all the
    > objects that come with the new expansion will be available in the
    > ordinary neighbourhood lots too including the gym equipment and the
    > coffee house stuff - both of which I really (really) want in my
    > community lots.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >

    > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >> Maxon wrote:
    >>> The first one I think - it just adds extra sim days for those sims
    >>> that go to university. It won't affect your sims who don't go or
    >>> change the age of any pre-existing sims - it's just an extra age
    >>> stage which has to be lived out in a different neighbourhood (the
    >>> sim college). The young adult stage won't be available in the
    >>> regular neighbourhoods. I'm still hoping for a middle age stage.
    >>>
    >>> Best wishes
    >>> Maxon
    >>>
    >> Well, poop. I was hoping it would add another age to everybody in
    >> the game. I seriously doubt if I would ever play the dorm life
    >> option to that game. The only reason I'd even consider buying it
    >> would be to add to the life span of all the sims (apparently not an
    >> option after all) and to add objects and animations and such.
    >> That's the only reason I bought Expansion Packs to the original
    >> game, too, though I did really like Unleashed for the bigger
    >> neighborhood and the pets.
    >>
    >> Jeanie

    I would certainly like the option of not having
    the gray hair for elders. I have no intention of
    letting my hair go gray--that's why God invented
    Miss Clairol ;-)

    Laura

    "Laura Castellano" <laurita_castellano@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I would certainly like the option of not having
    > the gray hair for elders. I have no intention of
    > letting my hair go gray--that's why God invented
    > Miss Clairol ;-)
    >
    > Laura

    LOL how true!!

    ......B

    I think you're probably right but there are an awful lot of older players of
    the game and I too think the elder sims are both unrealistic and rather a
    spiritless portrayal of older age - no one I know in that age group looks
    anything like that! As I said before, I'd like to see a middle-aged age
    bracket. It's all very well idolising being young and sleek and
    good-looking, but, God, it was boring being that age. And, like you, I'd
    like to see more variety in lifestyles and conditions.

    Mind you, I'm quite fond of the sim-version of me (Sim Jen) - it's not quite
    so long since I was 'sleek, young and smashing' and she reminds me of that.
    I wish she wouldn't smile so much though.

    Oh, BTW, you're wrong about not being able to make adult children of sims -
    you create them as a child, of course, in CAS (if you want to use the
    genetics of the parents) and then age them to adulthood or simply create an
    adult sim and in the relationships bit of CAS, choose the parent-child
    option. Does that make sense?

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:
    > I think you're probably right but there are an awful lot of older
    > players of the game and I too think the elder sims are both
    > unrealistic and rather a spiritless portrayal of older age - no one I
    > know in that age group looks anything like that! As I said before,
    > I'd like to see a middle-aged age bracket. It's all very well
    > idolising being young and sleek and good-looking, but, God, it was
    > boring being that age. And, like you, I'd like to see more variety
    > in lifestyles and conditions.
    >
    > Mind you, I'm quite fond of the sim-version of me (Sim Jen) - it's
    > not quite so long since I was 'sleek, young and smashing' and she
    > reminds me of that. I wish she wouldn't smile so much though.
    >
    > Oh, BTW, you're wrong about not being able to make adult children of
    > sims - you create them as a child, of course, in CAS (if you want to
    > use the genetics of the parents) and then age them to adulthood or
    > simply create an adult sim and in the relationships bit of CAS,
    > choose the parent-child option. Does that make sense?
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    I've not tried making them and aging then in CAS. But if I make two adults
    from the get-go, I don't get the parent-child option in CAS relationship
    screen. Just roomies or spouse. They don't give you the option of siblings
    either. Of course, they share the same last name anyway so that's okay, but
    it doesn't make any sense for roomies to share the same last name. I will
    try your suggestion about making the child a teenager, setting the
    relationship between the two and then going back and editing the teen to age
    them to adult. That would be good, if it works. I suppose it would also
    work for making a May-December marriage, too, because you don't get the
    spouse option if you create them at the right ages.

    Jeanie

    Laura Castellano wrote:

    > I would certainly like the option of not having
    > the gray hair for elders. I have no intention of
    > letting my hair go gray--that's why God invented
    > Miss Clairol ;-)

    If I wasn't allergic to Miss Clairol et al, I'd still be a redhead.

    Instead, I'm stuck as a brunette with a developing skunk stripe. Pity we
    can't do the stripe or salt and pepper.

    -georg

    Maybe you're right - I'll check out what I did with one of my families - I
    had an elder mother and adult daughter - maybe they have to be different
    life stages? The sibling thing sounds like a stupid restriction too but I'm
    sure you could make them as children then age them - then delete the
    original parents if you want adult siblings - or possibly create them as
    adults, make them children, establish the relationship, age them again.
    What you say about the spouse option makes sense in that light - I've never
    done that kind of relationship, I really don't like them.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > I've not tried making them and aging then in CAS. But if I make two
    adults
    > from the get-go, I don't get the parent-child option in CAS relationship
    > screen. Just roomies or spouse. They don't give you the option of
    siblings
    > either. Of course, they share the same last name anyway so that's okay,
    but
    > it doesn't make any sense for roomies to share the same last name. I will
    > try your suggestion about making the child a teenager, setting the
    > relationship between the two and then going back and editing the teen to
    age
    > them to adult. That would be good, if it works. I suppose it would also
    > work for making a May-December marriage, too, because you don't get the
    > spouse option if you create them at the right ages.
    >
    > Jeanie

Sims Games Video Games