Strange shutdown reboot problem

G

Lately my computer has started giving me this wierd problem.

My problem:
It goes into shutdown after some time. This happens any time - from within the first 2-3 seconds after hitting the power button to after windows has fully loaded.
Sometimes after such shutdown it reboots automatically after a random interval. the interval can be 3 seconds to 3- 5 minutes.
Sometimes after such shutdown, no matter how many times i hit the power button the system won't start. There is no green light. At these times i pulled the power cable and attached it again, then hit power, then the CPU kicks in. (although no guarantee it will complete a full boot).

What I have tried so far
I cleaned my system for dust so the CPU fan and the power supply fan aren't clogged and they are spinning as usual. But the problem is not solved.
I removed all but necessary peripherals. Earlier I had 3 HDDs and 1 DVD. Now i have just the main HDD.
I took out the heat sink, and I think the thermal paste is worn out. I say 'i think' because i don't know what it supposed to look like. Also the thermal paste felt more like graphite.
My cpu temp is 45-47 degree celcius (abt 112 F). voltages are within 5%.
I replace the motherboar battery with a new one.
I deducted that this is not a virus because a) the problem occurs even while i am in the BIOS config screen (i.e. before os is loaded). b) problem occurs with out any HDD atached. c)shutdown /a does not work because it says that system is shutting down and cannot initiate the process. (i read that this was one of the ways to counter blaster)
I suspected something wrong with the power button spring action, so i manually simulated the power on off with the power wire that goes to the motherboard. no results.
I tried booting my comp with the 3 different bios jumper positions a) normal b) config and c) recovery. no results.
I dont suspect OS issue, because this happens before OS is loaded.

My system
P4 2.4 ghx, 512 on chip, 533 mhz
intel mobo i think DG845gebv2
2 ram modules - 1 GB and 256 mb. different vendors and possibly different speeds i think. (dont think this was a problem, because it worked like this for a year.)
Win XP
Un branded PC, I had bought the parts and got a technician to assemble it in 2007.
my monitor is plugging directly to the wall for its power (i.e. no monitor load on my psu)

What do i do? Please suggest, as this is so frustrating.

G

My PSU is generic. I will have to get home to read the specs.
But on the BIOS setup screen its showin the voltages within 5% .. doesn't that absolve the PSU?

G

Also could you please suggest power supply specs for my configuration.
+Ideally i would like to have 3 HDD and 1 DVD writter online.
+LAN card
+no AGPs required as I am not into high end gaming.
+ Good colling. I am thinking of enhancing my cooling by getting another fan, etc.
+ USB - mouse, pen drive, printer (offline most of the times)

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Based on your system specs and what you require, I would suggest a Corsair 430vx. Very stable and very high quality plus leaves you room to add a mid-range video card if you want.

It goes into shutdown after some time. This happens any time - from within the first 2-3 seconds after hitting the power button to after windows has fully loaded. Sometimes after such shutdown it reboots automatically after a random interval. the interval can be 3 seconds to 3- 5 minutes. Sometimes after such shutdown, no matter how many times i hit the power button the system won't start. There is no green light. At these times i pulled the power cable and attached it again, then hit power, then the CPU kicks in. (although no guarantee it will complete a full boot).
Symptoms of a flaky power supply.
My PSU is generic. But on the BIOS setup screen its showin the voltages within 5% .. doesn't that absolve the PSU?
No, unfortunately it doesn't.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Happens at boot as well? is bios virus detection on? Your mobo could be failing could be a psu , as others have said psu is the first and most suspect crimninal for many pc related issues.

Different timings on the ram is not good. Over time it can defect as it sets one of the other sticks or both out of spec. uber rare but time is the decider on all failures.

PSU check first , and then pick apart the pieces in testing.

G

Thank you johnnyq1233, jsc and verndewd
I'll need to source the corsair 430vx in my city. Hope it is available.

A friend has also suggested that the thermal paste might be an issue. that would be the second step.

Also could you tell me more about the BIOS virus thing and how do i get BIOS virus detection on?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Bios viruses are very rare...
In the 25 years I've been in the comp business I'venever seen a bios virus!
Also you can look for the following power supply makers.....PCPOWER&COOLING, SILVERSTONE, ENNERMAX, ANTEC...
Let us know what your nearest store has available and we'll be happy to suggest a good one!

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
A couple more suggestions, replace both sticks of RAM, and the PSU. (note these are just to give you a general idea)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145086
$29 Crucial DDR 333 (I recommend getting 2 of these and replacing both of your sticks)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023
$41 Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182074
$34 Rosewill RD400-2-SB 400W (have used it for 4 builds, no issues so far)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194037
$45 Enermax Tomahawk ETK405AST 405W (has a $15 MIR)

G

Thanks, Got one vendor for corsair. Also has thermal paste.
RAM's shall try as the third step.