TS2: Speed of game question.

Hi All,

I was wondering.
I now have my pc running smooth and tip top, but with all those
downloads from Modthesims2 and TSR, the game starts to get sluggish.
The specs of my pc are:
Celeron CPU 2.00 GHz
NVidia GeForce FX 5200 videocard
Windows XP
512 MB RAM.
Would upgrading the RAM make a difference????
Thanks in advance :))

Elly.

Elly wrote:
> The specs of my pc are:
> Celeron CPU 2.00 GHz
> NVidia GeForce FX 5200 videocard
> Windows XP
> 512 MB RAM.
> Would upgrading the RAM make a difference????

Yes. I might upgrade my 512MB to 1GB in a few days so I can give you a
better answer to that when I get the RAM, but I would also suggest upgrading
the processor. Celerons are *not* for gaming, they are just affordable
processors for people who want a PC for general use. There was so much
difference to my games when I got rid of my Celeron 1GHz and got a P3 1GHz.

RAM is the cheapest way to upgrade speed - although it gets diminishing
returns after awhile. Adding an additional 512 MB to get an even
gigabyte is good. Adding another gig to 2 is probably not too bad an
idea if you have the slots and money, but it isn't needed. Any more is
a waste.

BTW, I have 1 gig of RAM and The Sims 2 works pretty good, although i
don't have too many downloads.

Upgrading the RAM makes a difference. I have upgraded since I got the Sims
2. I first upgraded my VideoCard from a NVIDIA GForce 4 440 to a ColorPower
Radeon 9600 Pro 256 and the graphics improved greatly and the game became
smoother. I then upgraded from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 3.2 and my RAM from 512
to 1G and the game was able to handle more people and floors before slowing
down. I still notice that the night in the Goth house doesn't pass as
quickly as in other houses, but what can you expect with all those ghosts
wandering around all night?

MM

"Elly" <ellyhensens@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering.
> I now have my pc running smooth and tip top, but with all those
> downloads from Modthesims2 and TSR, the game starts to get sluggish.
> The specs of my pc are:
> Celeron CPU 2.00 GHz
> NVidia GeForce FX 5200 videocard
> Windows XP
> 512 MB RAM.
> Would upgrading the RAM make a difference????
> Thanks in advance :))
>
> Elly.

hmm i have a faster pc pentium 4 2600
and its slow here as well
playable but slow
and the rest matches yours

"Elly" <ellyhensens@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering.
> I now have my pc running smooth and tip top, but with all those
> downloads from Modthesims2 and TSR, the game starts to get sluggish.
> The specs of my pc are:
> Celeron CPU 2.00 GHz
> NVidia GeForce FX 5200 videocard
> Windows XP
> 512 MB RAM.
> Would upgrading the RAM make a difference????
> Thanks in advance :))
>
> Elly.

I don't know but I have a smaller CPU than you but three times the memory.
My game is not running slowly and I have a very fat downloads folder. I
hear the bigger lots with lots of stuff on them and bigger families can be
slow though (I don't like big lots).

Best wishes
Maxon

Maxon wrote:
> I don't know but I have a smaller CPU than you but three times the
> memory. My game is not running slowly and I have a very fat downloads
> folder. I hear the bigger lots with lots of stuff on them and bigger
> families can be slow though (I don't like big lots).
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

That's the way it is in my game, as well. I have a P4 2GHz processor and
768MB of RDRAM. My graphics card is not the best (64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4
MX 420) but certainly sufficient to run the game. I have lots of downloads,
too, and the only problems I have is in huge lots with big multi-storied
houses and/or lots of trees (like community parks). I love to build those
because they are so satisfying to do, but they are hard to play. Smaller,
starter houses are much easier to play and really that's all the sims need
to function correctly. So I wind up with neighborhoods full of pretty
houses I've built, just for looking at, and scrawny little neighborhoods
with sims living in them for playing.

Jeanie

>RAM is the cheapest way to upgrade speed - although it gets diminishing
>returns after awhile. Adding an additional 512 MB to get an even
>gigabyte is good. Adding another gig to 2 is probably not too bad an
>idea if you have the slots and money, but it isn't needed. Any more is
>a waste.
>
>BTW, I have 1 gig of RAM and The Sims 2 works pretty good, although i
>don't have too many downloads.

Thanks for your reply.
I am not really sure, but I do think I have enough slots to put up to
2 Gig of RAM in there.
But I don't know yet what it will cost me, I first wanted to know if
it would make any difference to the game :)
Thanks, I know now that it probably will, so I will check out the
prices.

Elly.

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> Elly wrote:
>
>>The specs of my pc are:
>>Celeron CPU 2.00 GHz
>>NVidia GeForce FX 5200 videocard
>>Windows XP
>>512 MB RAM.
>>Would upgrading the RAM make a difference????
>

> Yes. I might upgrade my 512MB to 1GB in a few days so I can give you a
> better answer to that when I get the RAM, but I would also suggest upgrading
> the processor. Celerons are *not* for gaming, they are just affordable
> processors for people who want a PC for general use. There was so much
> difference to my games when I got rid of my Celeron 1GHz and got a P3 1GHz.

I used to have 512, upgraded to 1GB, and there's a big difference.
Things are smoother and also it takes less time for the game to "settle
down" after loading a house. Worth the investment, IMHO.

--
--Cuth

> RAM is the cheapest way to upgrade speed - although it gets diminishing
> returns after awhile. Adding an additional 512 MB to get an even
> gigabyte is good. Adding another gig to 2 is probably not too bad an
> idea if you have the slots and money, but it isn't needed. Any more is
> a waste.

I'd say anything more than *1* gig is a waste for anyone whose primary goal
of getting more RAM is to increase TS2's performance. I have tons of stuff
always loaded (including SQL Server, which is a memory hog) and my *total*
memory usage on XP Pro never grows much beyond 7-800MB.

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
> I used to have 512, upgraded to 1GB, and there's a big difference.
> Things are smoother and also it takes less time for the game to
> "settle down" after loading a house. Worth the investment, IMHO.

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. I've only played the Brokes since (1
adult, 1 teen, 1 child, 1 todler) but I deffinately noticed an improvement.
The cursor didn't 'jump about' at all, the game didn't slow down when I had
8 sims in the house, and OE opened so quickly after I had quit The Sims.
Deffinately worth it if you can afford it. The only problem with RAM is
that you should know what you're getting. I had 512MB DDR333, and I bought
512MB DDR400, only to have my brother tell me that different speeds use the
slower speed, so effectively I have 1GB DDR333. Oh well, I't still better
than it was. I'll play the pleasants tomorow and see how the new RAM copes
with that.