Sign in with
Your question

SATA hard drive issue

Last response: in Storage
July 11, 2010 3:27:35 PM

Hello,

I have a WD5000AAJS sata hard drive. When I turn on the system the bios shows it as 0gb and I get the "hard drive error" press F1 to continue. Windows will not see it either. I thought the drive was parted wrong or may be corrupt. So I D/l'd Gparted and made a boot disk. GParted will see it and shows a good drive. To my suprise when I did a reset(non power down) of the system the drive shows up in the bios and windows sees it. However, if I power down the drive returns to 0GB and I get the error again and no drive? Boot GParted and it comes back? I can install windows or what ever I want until a power down then its gone again. All test shows its healthy when the system sees it. I have done all the basic stuff, Cables, different sata port, partition, format, Ide config, ACHI config, ect... but after powerdown it still goes away. It should be noted that I have 2 other SATA drives a 250gb and a 320gb. Which work fine Either alone or together. My Motherboard is a Asus P5Q with the latest bios and a E8500 Core2Duo 3.16Ghz processor. Anyone ran into this before or have any suggestions?

Thank you.

More about : sata hard drive issue

July 18, 2010 12:55:13 PM

svo86 said:
Hello,

I have a WD5000AAJS sata hard drive. When I turn on the system the bios shows it as 0gb and I get the "hard drive error" press F1 to continue. Windows will not see it either. I thought the drive was parted wrong or may be corrupt. So I D/l'd Gparted and made a boot disk. GParted will see it and shows a good drive. To my suprise when I did a reset(non power down) of the system the drive shows up in the bios and windows sees it. However, if I power down the drive returns to 0GB and I get the error again and no drive? Boot GParted and it comes back? I can install windows or what ever I want until a power down then its gone again. All test shows its healthy when the system sees it. I have done all the basic stuff, Cables, different sata port, partition, format, Ide config, ACHI config, ect... but after powerdown it still goes away. It should be noted that I have 2 other SATA drives a 250gb and a 320gb. Which work fine Either alone or together. My Motherboard is a Asus P5Q with the latest bios and a E8500 Core2Duo 3.16Ghz processor. Anyone ran into this before or have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Svo86,

Your drive manufacturer has free diagnostic tools at
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en
Suggest that you download the WDC tool (start with the standalone bootable cd) and see if the basic drive is healthy.

Good luck
a c 327 G Storage
July 19, 2010 5:07:30 AM

Any chance you installed or changed a jumper on pins on the back of the drive? I ask because on WD SATA drives if you install a jumper on the wrong pair of pins it sets it to PUIS (power-up in standby) mode, which WD calls PM2 Enabled. In this mode, used almost exclusively for server systems, the drive motor does NOT spin up the platters when power comes on. Instead, it waits for the controller to tell it to spin up. A normal desktop system controller does not do this, so the drive does not spin and appears to be dead. See page 1 of this:

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

!