Blank screen after reformat

llDemonll

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I jsut bought my new computer and put it all together today

gigabyte ga-ex58-ud3r motherboard, intel core i7 920 processor, 500gb 3.0gb/s sata HD, 3 gig ram, radeon 4870 512mb

put everything together accordingly (not my first build) and formatted HD fine, then after the first section of windows installs (when you do the computer name, time zone and such) it restarted and now it's stuck at this blank screen and won't do anything. ive tried restarting, taking xp cd out, turning off for a while, everthing i can think of and nothing can get me past it.

the monitor is on, its a very dark blue/green glow that im getting, almost black but it's not in standby or anything.

any help appreciated

llDemonll

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
so i found out that setup crashes when i get to the 'registering components' portion (est. 18 minutes left) of installing windows xp (32 bit). i will try the 1 stick thing and see if that fixes it

llDemonll

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
scratch that, it just crashes anytime during windows install after entering the network settings. i have only 1 stick on ram in now, dont know what else on the computer i can change

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
+1 to slipstreaming sp3 in, i dotn think even core2 was out when XP/XP Sp1 was realeased, there'll be loads of new hardware revisions and quirks since then....

The other trick is to disable all the on-board sound, network, usb, additional sata controllers etc etc till youve got a working os. install sp3 and the drivers for your mb then enable each device one by one

after several cups of tea and half a day of restarting, you may be ok....

llDemonll

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
would getting a copy of vista be worth it (rethorical question, i can get it for free from my school).

i was thinking maybe xp doesnt like the i7 core without newer service packs slipstreamed in maybe, but when i get home to my computer later today i will try and make a slipstream cd and see if the new computer likes that.

thanks for the help so far, ill keep you updated =)

Vista with SP1 is probably less work that slipstreaming XP SP3. And the price is right. I can't think of any reason not to go with Vista SP1.
Once you do a few tweaks (like turning off UAC - User Account Controls) you'll hardly notice the difference.

llDemonll

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
i fixed it :)

by turning active cores to 1 and turning off hyper threading it was able to install without any hiccups, once i update i can just turn all the cores back on and turn hyper threading back on.

later i will install vista though, gotta upgrade sometime :)

thanks for all your advice and help no matter :D

Pedro Costa

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Wow, turning active cores to 1 on BIOS resolved my problem!
Also I don't know why Windows 7 can't start with more than 1 core, maybe the processor is broken???