Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Use SSD as readyboost or cache ... instead of storage

Last response: in Storage
July 11, 2010 4:48:02 PM

Hello,I'd like to use an SSD as readyboost or cache ... instead of storage. It would be a lot faster than a USB. Can I do this? Has anyone done this? Does it effect (affect?) performance?
July 12, 2010 12:47:11 AM

Good god why would you spend 200 dollars for a readyboost drive?
m
l

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
July 12, 2010 2:12:27 AM

The best way to get the most out of an SSD is to use it in place of an ordinary disk drive and install the OS onto it along with whatever applications you can fit.
Related resources
July 13, 2010 8:48:58 PM

I thought readyboost did nothing for computers with 2gb of ram so I don't see an advantage
m
l
July 23, 2010 1:42:04 AM

Best answer selected by psattler.
m
l
August 25, 2011 1:01:56 AM

And like a million other places this question is asked, everyone spews opinion instead of a straight answer to the actual question. There are plenty of reasons to use readyboost even with >2GB ram. It's also not always feasible/affordable to get an SSD that is large enough to house the entire boot image w/ apps, games included. Manual separation between SSD and HDD is not very granular and extremely labor intensive and tedious to keep accurately maintained. Readyboost/superfetch already do this automatically (keep counts and patterns on file access), so the idea is to utilize that and get the best of both worlds from SSD and Readyboost. Get it now?
m
l
!