PCI video card installation issue

wormy

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I am installing a Geforce 9400 GT PCI viedo card into a Dell Dimension 3000.....the problem is that I have the monitor plugged into the PCI Video Card when the computer boots and I can see it go through the boot process on the screen....it even gets to where it says Windows XP on the screen...then when it gets to where I choose my user the screen is blank....and if I unplug the monitor and plug it into the motherboard's onboard VGA then I can see everything again and choose my user and everything is fine......why cant I use the video card....in the BIOS I cant tell it to use a PCI video card....I have the selection of Onboard or Auto......I know it sees the video card because at the initial boot screen it tells me what card I have and how much ram it has...I also have the most recent Nvidia drivers installed that date January 22, 2009

What do I need to do so I can get the video card to work correctly

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Sounds like some kind of issue with the resolution, apparently the card dosent like whatever resolution you have in windows. Try using the onboard video and changing the resolution, then switch back to the pcie video card.